query should fetch values from file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

query should fetch values from file

Post by DSbox61 »

Hi guys,

I need to desing a job where i need to fetch some data from db2 database but only for selected values and those values would be stored in a file.

Ex: select * from orders where orders_id={These values are in a file} with ur;

I cannot use an IN clause coz there are some 30,000 orders for which i need to fetch data from the database.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Load the file to a work/temp table and join it to your source.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSbox61 »

Thanks Craig. But I'm not allowed to create/drop/delete any table on production database using datastage. Is there any other work around?
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: query should fetch values from file

Post by vivekgadwal »

DSbox61 wrote:Hi guys,

I need to desing a job where i need to fetch some data from db2 database but only for selected values and those values would be stored in a file.

Ex: select * from orders where orders_id={These values are in a file} with ur;

I cannot use an IN clause coz there are some 30,000 orders for which i need to fetch data from the database.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Put the file values (order id's I presume...) into a Hash file and make it as a key column. Then do a lookup based on the Order_id field and send in all the columns where the values are found!
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSbox61 »

Thanks Vivek. Let me put forward my understanding of your suggestion. You're saying, get the order_id into hash file and get everything from orders table (select * from orders) in db2 stage and then do look up on key columns(order_id) in the transformer stage. But, the problem here is if i do {select * from orders} in db2 stage, it would fetch me few millions of rows. Whereas, i need to fetch only a few thousands of orders.

DB2----->Tx----->SeqFile
^^
||
||
HashFile

is there any table i can create within datastage which i can use in my query within db2 stage?
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

DSbox61 wrote:Thanks Vivek. Let me put forward my understanding of your suggestion. You're saying, get the order_id into hash file and get everything from orders table (select * from orders) in db2 stage and then do look up on key columns(order_id) in the transformer stage. But, the problem here is if i do {select * from orders} in db2 stage, it would fetch me few millions of rows. Whereas, i need to fetch only a few thousands of orders.

DB2----->Tx----->SeqFile
^^
||
||
HashFile

is there any table i can create within datastage which i can use in my query within db2 stage?
You understood it right. If you are fetching/selecting data from table without any conditions, it should not take much time. When you are looking up with a Hash file, it should be fairly quick especially when you are loading into a Seq. File.
I am suggesting you this because we use something like this design in our shop and the jobs are fairly responsive and quick.
Vivek Gadwal

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DSbox61 wrote:Thanks Craig. But I'm not allowed to create/drop/delete any table on production database using datastage. Is there any other work around?
That's just a silly and stupid restriction. A 'connection' account can easily have its own 'schema' (whatever the DB2 equivalent is called) where work tables can be created without affecting the 'real' tables or tablespace. Your ability to work is really hobbled by an arbitrary restriction like that. [shakes head]
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

chulett wrote:
DSbox61 wrote:Thanks Craig. But I'm not allowed to create/drop/delete any table on production database using datastage. Is there any other work around?
That's just a silly and stupid restriction. A 'connection' account can easily have its own 'schema' (whatever the DB2 equivalent is called) where work tables can be created without affecting the 'real' tables or tablespace. Your ability to work is really hobbled by an arbitrary restriction like that. [shakes head]
I agree with Craig. There should be a WorkDB schema for you to create a table. If not, your DBA can create one for you and you can always truncate and load the data into it.
However, if that kind of restriction should exist, then design the job as per my earlier suggestion and look at the performance!
Vivek Gadwal

DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSbox61 »

Thanks Guys. I'll try to convince our DBA for this. If not then i would go with the regular look up design.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A hashed file (note - it is not "hashed" file) solution would be very efficient.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSbox61 »

Thanks guys. I convinced my DB on creating a temp table.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

DSbox61 wrote:Thanks guys. I convinced my DB on creating a temp table.
Did you try the Hashed file approach?
Vivek Gadwal