Migration from Oracle 9i to 10g

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

harshkohli
Participant

Migration from Oracle 9i to 10g

Post by harshkohli »

We are currently using DataStage 7.5.1.A on HP Unix server and our existing database is Oracle 9i. Our Datstage jobs connect to Oracle using OCI8 stage. We are planning to upgrade the Oracle from 9i to 10g on our HP Unix server. Do we need to do anything to our datastage jobs or they will work without any issues? If anyone has any 'best practises' document for the upgrade, please share?
Harsh Kohli
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure why you would be using the OCI8 stage over the OCI stage, that may complicate things. Otherwise it should just be a case of updating your tnsnames entries to point to the 10g instance while still using the 9i client on your DataStage server. In other words, no changes to your jobs.

That may still be the case with the OCI8 stage, but you may be better off converting all of your jobs to the new stage. From what I recall, there is a supported utility on the client CDROM that will convert all of your jobs automatically. Yes, technically under the 'Utilities\Unsupported' branch but I've used it and it does work fine: Oci82Oci9.

If you want to use a 10g client with DataStage, you'll need to upgrade your jobs to use the OCI stage AFAIK.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers