How to mark a job as FINISHED

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raju_6609
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to mark a job as FINISHED

Post by Raju_6609 »

Hi,

I would like to know is there any commands to mark a job sucessfull ?
ie. Finished

As we do for Stop/Reset ?

-Thanks
-Raj
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, there isn't - it will need to achieve that status on its own. And yes, you can Stop a job or Reset one that's been stopped (or aborted) if need be.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why would you want to? What would be the ramifications if you were to mark a job as finished but, in reality, it was still running?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, why are you asking? What problem are you trying to solve?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Raju_6609
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raju_6609 »

thanks for all for your replies.

I am asking this because, take a example that I have a sequenc which calls five underlying jobs. Today If I faced a problem where out of 5 jobs 1 job failed.

Now the status of Sequencer is 'Aborted/Restartable' and also of the job which will be 'Aborted'.

Suppose I fixed it some way and trying dsjob -run command of that job. It go FINISHED.

But my sequencer is sitting with status as 'Aborted/Restartable', which is sure going fail in next run if I dont do reset now. Other way I am searching is to mark this job complete explicitly, by giving status as FINISHED, if there are any means. (Which I feel is right thing to do)

-Let me know If I have not confused you more.
-Raj
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, you have missed one critical point. The restartable job sequence continues to believe that the job in question has aborted (never finished successfully) so will attempt to execute it - and probably succeed if you have fixed the job.

The only legal way around this is to reset or re-compile the job sequence itself, which will clear the checkpoint record that is a part of the job sequence (not a part of the underlying job).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Raju_6609
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raju_6609 »

Thanks Ray.
I sort of understood that we cant make job as FINISHED explicitly. Hence this issue/question is resolved.
-Raj
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

But one thing you can do is to mark this thread as finished (Resolved). Use the green button at the top of the page.