Upgrading to Version 8 from 7.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

travis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Upgrading to Version 8 from 7.1

Post by travis »

Hi - I'm looking to find some opinions on my upgrade strategy. I will be upgrading our DS environment in the next month, and will be starting the process on a clean server. What would be the best approach for getting the 7.1 version on the server? Can I simply take a backup of the existing environment and drop it on the clean server or do I have to go through the full install of 7.1? Also, are people finding it easier to have both the 7x version installed along with 8 on the server for compatibility testing?
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

According to the IBM upgrade documentation, you must upgrade 7.1 to 7.5 first before you upgrade to 8.0.1.
travis
Premium Member
Premium Member

You do not have to upgrade to 7.5.2

Post by travis »

Here's the verbiage from the IBM site...

Earlier DataStage versions - UNIX and Linux servers

If your version of DataStage is earlier than version 7.0, then you cannot upgrade directly to IBM Information server. There are two available upgrade options and a co-existence option:
1) Upgrade your DataStage server to DataStage version 7.5.2 and then run the IBM Information Server installation program to upgrade to WebSphere DataStage.
2) You can save your DataStage design objects and associated data, then remove your old installation of DataStage before installing IBM Information Server. You then restore your objects and data. You can also use this option to move DataStage to a different computer.
You can maintain your existing version of DataStage server, and install IBM Information Server alongside it.

I do not interpret those statements to mean you have to go to 7.5.2. It's an option, but unless I'm missing something as long as we are on the 7x version we should be fine.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I imported a DataStage 3 export file into the Information Server. I think it was DataStage 3 export file, the "ToolVersion" was "3" and the extract date was 2002 and the "Exporting Tool" was "Ardent DataStage Export". Imported routines, batch jobs and server jobs without a problem. I think there is a difference between upgrade and import. You can only upgrade from 7.* but you can import from earlier versions.

(This post was updated Sep 28 to change 7.5.2 to 7.*)
Last edited by vmcburney on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Once again you do not have to be on 7.5.2 to upgrade to ver8

Post by travis »

I'm in meetings with IBM today and I asked this very question, and just as the documentation states you only need to be on version 7x to upgrade to version 8.

Please stop spreading bad information.
nivas
Participant

Re: Upgrading to version 8.0 from version 5.0

Post by nivas »

This reqest is for all,
travis wrote:2) You can save your DataStage design objects and associated data, then remove your old installation of DataStage before installing IBM Information Server. You then restore your objects and data. You can also use this option to move DataStage to a different computer.
Saving the Datastage design objects and associated data , how it can be done. Is it through exporting the .dsx files of the datastage jobs ?

Please let me know. We are going for from version 5.0 to version 8.0

thanks
nivas
nivas
Participant

Re: Upgrading to version 8.0 from version 5.0

Post by nivas »

nivas wrote:This reqest is for all,
travis wrote:2) You can save your DataStage design objects and associated data, then remove your old installation of DataStage before installing IBM Information Server. You then restore your objects and data. You can also use this option to move DataStage to a different computer.
Saving the Datastage design objects and associated data , how it can be done. Is it through exporting the .dsx files of the datastage jobs ?

Please let me know. We are going for from version 5.0 to version 8.0
our OS: WINDOWS

thanks
nivas
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, it is done through exporting to .dsx files.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers