VarChar in Hash Files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jpr196
Participant

VarChar in Hash Files

Post by jpr196 »

Hi All,

We are working with a large data set and have concerns over Hashed File Sizes. I have done my research and understand it is not recommended to change the uvconfig file. So, I'm trying to gather some analysis on which files we will need to explicitely resize to 64bit.

When doing some analysis, I've found that some of our files are 480mb with around 5 million rows. The hashed files have 4 columns: VarChar 999 (stores key columns), varchar 5, varchar 16, timestamp 19. Assuming the Key columns combined were 50 characters, does having the varchar 999 make a difference in the size? In other words, would I see a smaller file if I used Varchar 100 or Char 50.

(By the way, these are delivered hashed files...in case you're wondering why they are set to varchar 999 for the key field.)
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by jpr196 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikegohl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mikegohl »

Delivered by whom? PeopleSoft?
Michael Gohl
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

480MB is not a problem. VarChar(999) may be, since the default maximum key size in a hashed file is 768.

Hashed files need to be 64-bit only if there is any likelihood they will exceed 2GB in size.

The size of the VarChar does not have any impact on storage in a hashed file; only the required amount of space is used.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

Yes, these are peoplesoft delivered Hashed Files.
mikegohl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mikegohl »

I would recommend you open a case with Oracle. I'm sure you are not the first customer that has run into this limitation.
Michael Gohl
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

mikegohl wrote:I would recommend you open a case with Oracle. I'm sure you are not the first customer that has run into this limitation.
I take it you mean Oracle as the owners of PeopleSoft?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mikegohl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mikegohl »

Exactly!
Michael Gohl
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What issue are we discussing with Oracle? As Ray has already noted, dropping the size of the varchar field will not result in a smaller hashed file and 480MB is not overly large.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

My take is the varchar 999 is not impacting the size (although it may have other issues, but I'm pretty sure no keys come near the 768 mark), correct? I don't think our limitation is an Oracle concern considering all DataStage Hashed files are 32bit when created.
mikegohl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mikegohl »

When there are issues with PeopleSoft delivered jobs, Oracle has the responsibility to fix them and send patch to all customers. This keeps the customers from needing to make changes every time there is a new release.
Michael Gohl
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's the thing... I don't see an issue here. :?
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

jpr196 wrote:but I'm pretty sure no keys come near the 768 mark), correct?
You would get failures if you attempted to create a key over the limit.
-craig

jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the Key constraint in hashed files before. I've never seen issues with this in our runs, so I think it's a non-issue. I was just pointing out one example with 5mil/480mb, but we do have many files that will come near or exceed the 2gb mark. I wanted to make sure we've optimized the file structures or atleast not hinder our file capacity before resizing files to 64bit. Thanks for the help guys!