Read Only jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rishi
Participant

Read Only jobs

Post by rishi »

Hi

I have a requirement to make specific jobs Read Only. Searched the froum and found lot of pointers. Replacing Readonly "0" with Readonly "1" suits the best. But..

The problem is that the same job can be exported again, original one can be deleted from repository and the Readonly flag can be reverted back by any user who has admin access in that environment.
Yes.. I understand that admins will have rights to do that. But thats what the requirement is :( . Is there a way where the jobs once made read only and deployed cannot be deleted?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could make use of protected project. But there will always be someone with rights enough to delete; in this case anyone who has been added to the Business Manager role.

Someone with a big enough magnet in close enough proximity to the disk could also delete things - are you beginning to see that the requirement itself is in need of some re-working?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rishi
Participant

Post by rishi »

Please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of a Protected project is that all the jobs in it will be in Read Only mode by default. And the requirement is that in middle of clients DataStage jobs there is one of our job which client cannot modify.
Kind of "Oops! you have choosen the wrong job to play with"...
Subscribe to email notifications. Save paper!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no way of which I am aware to "bulletproof" the requirement that only some jobs are to be read-only, particularly in version 8. There will always be someone with access.

You might like to experiment with using file system permissions to protect some or all of the job-numbered objects in the local DataStage Repository (and report the results of your experiments here, please). Keep good and complete notes so that you can reverse anything that you might break, and change only one thing at a time so that you can be sure that you know what change effected any noticed variation in behaviour.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rishi
Participant

Post by rishi »

Thanks a lot Ray! :D
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

to add to rays comments, from personal painful experience- I would be VERY wary of simply editing the dsx export file in V8

I did this for some jobs I was testing and caused all sorts of problems, also be very careful with routines, I basically imported a dsx from a 7.5. project containing some routines that had been set to readonly using Version Control...

.. and once they V8 as readonly u pretty much scuppered as they cant be reimported as non-readonly, further more they cant be deleted, renamed etc as .... they are readonly.

I raised this with IBM and there is an obvious risk here when migrating, and they dont advocate hacking dsxes (never did but with no Version Control - limited options in my view)

We are now going though the route of ensuring all jobs are non-readonly in 7.5 by using version control prior to exporting/importing into V8
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

to add to rays comments, from personal painful experience- I would be VERY wary of simply editing the dsx export file in V8

I did this for some jobs I was testing and caused all sorts of problems, also be very careful with routines, I basically imported a dsx from a 7.5. project containing some routines that had been set to readonly using Version Control...

.. and once they V8 as readonly u pretty much scuppered as they cant be reimported as non-readonly, further more they cant be deleted, renamed etc as .... they are readonly.

I raised this with IBM and there is an obvious risk here when migrating, and they dont advocate hacking dsxes (never did but with no Version Control - limited options in my view)

We are now going though the route of ensuring all jobs are non-readonly in 7.5 by using version control prior to exporting/importing into V8
rishi
Participant

Post by rishi »

fridge wrote:I would be VERY wary of simply editing the dsx export file in V8
Thanks for the warning. Will keep all that in mind :)