Renaming the CATEGORY in the Repository

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yddert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Renaming the CATEGORY in the Repository

Post by yddert »

Hi All,

I renamed the category in the repository from 'Temp' to 'Temp_RM' by using the following SQL in Administrator.

UPDATE DS_JOBS SET CATEGORY='Retro\Assign\Temp_RM' WHERE CATEGORY = 'Retro\Assign\Temp'

The Category is updated and I see category 'Temp_RM' in the DS Designer .
When I navigate to that category in the Designer, the following message is displayed.
"Record Temp in file DS_JOBS does not exist "

After I said 'OK' and I can able to compile and run the jobs.

Please help me with this.

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The lesson learned is that you should only use the approved methods in the client tools. Revert and try again.
Last edited by ArndW on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Bad Idea. Use the GUI, Luke! Create a new category and move everything over to it, then delete the old (empty) one. After you undo this, of course.
Last edited by chulett on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Renaming a category does not change each object's internal reference to that category. That's why renaming category is not even supported in the GUI.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yddert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yddert »

Hi all,
Thank you everyone for their replies. The renaming of the Category was done basically tryng to rename all the jobs. I can able to rename the jobs but something messed up while renaming the category. After that, I imported the original jobs and everything is ok except that the I can not able to delete the renamed category. I cleared the clean up resources but not much help.
Can we able to delete that category ?

Thanks again
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Perhaps you need first to re-build the indexes in the Repository. CATEGORY is one of the columns indexed. It may be that the delete operation is trying to use that index.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yddert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yddert »

ray.wurlod wrote:Perhaps you need first to re-build the indexes in the Repository. CATEGORY is one of the columns indexed. It may be that the delete operation is trying to use that index.
Thanks Ray.
Can we do the re-indexing thru admin. I donot have the admin rights, since I am the only person working on that project, I can get the exclusive access to that project very easily. But can I run that command without having all the admin authorities?

Thanks again
yddert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yddert »

ray.wurlod wrote:Perhaps you need first to re-build the indexes in the Repository. CATEGORY is one of the columns indexed. It may be that the delete operation is trying to use that index.
Thanks Ray.
Can we do the re-indexing thru admin. I donot have the admin rights, since I am the only person working on that project, I can get the exclusive access to that project very easily. But can I run that command without having all the admin authorities?

Thanks again
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I don't know. You don't need admin rights specifically, but you do need write permission (obviously) to all objects in the Repository. So I would suspect you're OK - just be very sure you have exclusive access (no non-Administrator clients open, not even yours).
yddert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yddert »

Reindexing has not worked but I deleted that category from the Admin Command prompt. Everything looks OK now.

Thanks everyone one for valuable suggestions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What proof can you provide that "re-indexing has not worked"?