Migrate Repository

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Migrate Repository

Post by Nisusmage »

Good day all,

In out datastage installation we opted for storing the datastage repository in a SQL 2005 server because we were have issues with administrating DB2 (Partly due to our lack of knowledge and human resources with DB2).

The problems of space and maintenance have now stopped. However, when we installed the Datastage Server, our SQL server was on a different server completely, connected over a network. This issues we are having now, is that when the SQL server is busy, accessing the repository is sluggish and slow, for obvious reason.

So we've configured a new SQL instance on a dedicated DS machine.

Has anyone been able to safely migrate or move a SQL 2005 repository to a different SQL 2005 Server?

Notes:
1) We backup out DSX's nightly and/or can manually run a backup of the DSX's.
2) we not too bothered about loosing the historical information in the current jobs.
3) We'd prefer not to reinstall the DS environment because it took us a while to configure our users and groups and to configure the XML stages correctly.
~The simpliest solutions are always the best~
~Trick is to understand the complexity to implement simplicity~
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I migrated from one Oracle server to another Oracle one. In retrospect, I would recommend re-installing from scratch. IBM support has an internal document titled "Steps to Move the Metadata Repository to a Different Database" which pretty well covers the steps; I currently have a copy because I am on an IBM copy and I was given to understand that it couldn't be passed on. I would suggest you call up support to see if you could get your hands on a copy.

I just realized that the document only discusses moving servers, you will need to re-install from scratch as the repository needs to created and initialized in DB2. I don't think you have an alternative to re-installing from scratch.
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

I was hoping there would be an safer way to just point to a different server,
but was prepared to re-install and restore backups.

I tested the backups on many occasions, ;). So I'm sure that it'll be okay.
It's a good opportunity to get rid of any space hogging rouge hash data files.

Thanks for the guidance.
~The simpliest solutions are always the best~
~Trick is to understand the complexity to implement simplicity~
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I just wonder whether you could simply use SQL Server utilities to move all the tables to a different server. All the information therein is what the services access; about the only possible reconfiguration might be telling the WAS where the Information Server database is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.