Create Excel File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

msacks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Create Excel File

Post by msacks »

Hi-

Is DataStage capable of creating an actual MS Excel File - not a CSV file, an actual MS Excel File. Please note, our DataStage server is deployed on UNIX, not Windows.

Alternatively if DataStage is not capable of creating an Excel file, but I have an Excel template, is it possible to open it and populate it with data?

Thanks!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, DataStage cannot create and write the MS-Excel file format on UNIX. There are ways to do this, but all involve purchasing extra software.
hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hobocamp »

ArndW - In your reply above, is the 'extra software' you're referring to the Excel ODBC driver from Microsoft?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm needing to do the exact thing the OP refers to, which is adding data to an existing Xcel template. I know this topic gets brought up from time to time, but I haven't found a lot of real detail concerning it. Thanks in advance!

Tom
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Perl has methods for reading and writing native .xls files. I've used the read method in conjunction with a different ETL tool, but calling a perl script in a before/after routine should work just fine with DataStage.

A google search on Spreadsheet::WriteExcel or Spreadsheet::ReadExcel should help.

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting. I wonder if the 'ClickPack' for DataStage is still available? It was free for the asking and brought Perl support into the product. Amongst other things.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers