ORACLE_HOME, TNS_ADMIN in dsenv file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saikrishna
Participant

ORACLE_HOME, TNS_ADMIN in dsenv file

Post by saikrishna »

Hi

In our shared DS Server on linux box..dsenv file contains both ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN variables being exported.

The TNS_ADMIN pointing to unavailable directory.

So..when I do Plugin metadata import for table definition..It is not showing any DataSourceNames....

But when I design a job and specifying the values in the database stage.. and able to view data from there... (The data source name, I am giving is been defined in tnsnames.ora file on $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin path)

Why is this discrepency?

And also I would like to know, is there any way of exporting ORACLE_HOME/TNS_ADMIN variables at project level...Instead of for all the projects at once?

Thanks
Sai
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The plugin import doesn't have the 'fall back' option in it that the client does, so it uses TNS_ADMIN when set whereas the client will check it first and fallback to the standard '$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin' location when it can't find the specific entry there.

You only need TNS_ADMIN set when the tnsnames.ora file is in a non-standard location, like when being shared amongst many Oracle 'homes'. I'd suggest removing it from your dsenv file.

Any environment variable, include the Oracle ones, can be overridden either at the Project level or the individual job level through proper use of Administrator User-Defined Environment Variables and $ENV, $PROJDEF, etc etc.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
saikrishna
Participant

Post by saikrishna »

Thanks Chullet