NLS: junk character removal

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rramprasad78
Participant

NLS: junk character removal

Post by rramprasad78 »

Hello everyone,

I have a strange issue with removal of hard coded junk characters in a string.
Server #1: The job on SUN Solaris with NLS Not installed, using Oconv("<junk value>","MCP") removes the junk character and gives the desired result.

Server #2: However, importing the same job into another environment, HP-UX with NLS ENABLED, does not remove the junk character fully but replaces it with a "?". I tried using a convert function to remove this but does not help. I tried changing the NLS map options from UTF8 to ASCII to NONE but none helped. I am also trying to figure out why in this server #2, the "." is replaced by "?"?

example: junk string: ramprasad
result of server #1: ramprasad (after applying convert function for ".")
result of server #2: ram??prasad (even after applying convert function to remove "?")

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
ram
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The "?" is not necessarily a junk character; it is more likely to be a perfectly normal character but one that can not be mapped using the character map that you currently have specified.

The solution to that is to determine how the characters in your data source are encoded, and to specify the appropriate NLS character map to process it without error.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rramprasad78
Participant

Post by rramprasad78 »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your quick response. However, i am not a premium member. Would it be possible for you to put it as a non-premium post? It will help me a lot.

Thanks.

Regards,
Ramprasad Ramani
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Premium membership is not expensive, less than 30c (less than Rs12) per day. It is one of the ways that the hosting and bandwidth expenses of DSXchange are funded. I do not intend to create a precedent that would prejudice that funding. Therefore my answer to your latest request must be "no".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.