ODBC query tool

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

josy
Participant

ODBC query tool

Post by josy »

Hi all,

I would like to test an ODBC connection on UNIX.

So, does anybody know where I could find an ODBC query tool for UNIX?

Regards

Josy
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

there comes one with DataStage. Look into:

* your manual
* your branded_odbc-directory

there you find all details for the test.

Wolfgang
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Within the DataStage environment there is a utility called DS.CONNECT which you can also use.

Code: Select all

DS.CONNECT dsn
It prompts you for the user ID and password with which to connect to the data source, then you can send SQL to your heart's content. To exit from DS.CONNECT, type .Q
To learn more about this, type

Code: Select all

HELP CONNECT
at the "UniVerse" prompt.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
josy
Participant

Post by josy »

Ray,

I have tried the command CONNECT
I managed to connect to the DataSource but I did get the following error message when i tried to execute any sql :

[ODBC:1509] [DataDirect][ODBC DB2 Wire Protocol driver]File not found 'IVVM.LIC'.
Additional error info: Status = -1 SQLState = S1000 Natcode = 6060
[ODBC:6060] [DataDirect][ODBC DB2 Wire Protocol driver]You are not licensed to use this DataDirect Technologies ODBC Driver under the license you have purchased. If you wish to purchase a license for use with this application, then you may use this driver for a period of 15 days, during which time you are required to obtain a license. You can order a license for a DataDirect Technologies ODBC Driver for use with this application by calling DataDirect Technologies at 800-876-3101 in North America and +44 1727 812812

I am a bit confused as obviously the username I am using to connect to the datasource is not recognised as a Datastage user and does not have any license.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Josy
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Josy, this has nothing to do with your user but with the way the ODBC drivers are licensed to be used. There are a number of posts here on that topic, for example this one.

As you've found, they are only licensed to be used under the GUI via the ODBC stage. They will work for something like 30 outside of that environment but then will start to get insistant about you purchasing a license if you need to keep doing that. :wink:

I'm guessing if there was something wrong with your configuration, you would see a different error message to that effect - are you? Or is it working AND you are seeing this warning? If so, it sounds like it's time to switch to Designer, drop an ODBC stage and a Transformer on the canvas and see if you can View Data back at your source.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

With DB2 the solution is easy, just install the ODBC drivers of your DB2 installation in DataStage and you're good to go.

Another trick I've seen one site do is to erase every night certain lines from the .odbc.ini that are being used to determine the number of days the driver is in use... until one day someone dropped the cronjob that did the erasing :D

Ogmios
newtier
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by newtier »

In the $dshome/../branded_odbc directory are 2 sub-directories: example and demo. In there are corresponding utility programs you can run: example and demoodbc.

I use these all the time to test ODBC connection. For example: demoodbc -uid fred -pwd ethel MY_DNS_CONNECTION_NAME

You can use fake userids and passwords. If it talks to the database it should get an error that the logon failed. If it cannot talk at all you will get a General Network Error.

The C source code is in the same directory, so you can see the sample connection commands and create your own test, if needed.
Rick H
Senior Consultant