Reading the data file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bala_135
Premium Member
Premium Member

Reading the data file

Post by bala_135 »

Hi All,

I am having a source file like this column1,column2(xml tag),column3.
I read it and pass the column(xml) to the xml input stage and then to the targets.The job aborts after reading a million rows and throws the "ACCESS VIOLATION ERROR".
I guess these are some data related issues.I have written a routine to strip the unwanted characters but I need to read the data first.
My question is I am reading the data as a varchar field.Its able to read some but could not read all.Any inputs most appreciated.

Regards,
Bala.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What stage are you using to read this data and what Varchar() length did you specify? If you remove the XML stage and no longer get an error in the program, then it probably isn't an issue with input lengths.
bala_135
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bala_135 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.Sequential file stage and the length i am specfying is 8000 for the XML column.I did another test used sequential file stage datatype as varchar 8000,removed all the other fields expect for the XML column field and written the results using another filestage.Used the strip routine as well.No issues able to read all the data.
My speculation there might be some data related issues with the other fields which propagates with the XML column field into the XML stage.

Regards,
Bala.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I don't know where your problem might be happening, but you might think about using the debugger. Find out the last "good" output line and put a breakpoint on that value, then step to the next one and see if the data contents might give a clue as to the cause of your problem. Sometimes the debugger shows the Heisenberg effect - meaning that by using it you change the error or get rid of it completely.
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Please give us two sample lines from your file.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm uncertain what the Heisenberg effect is - can you please amplify?
:wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... Wurlod Humor. :lol:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ray.wurlod wrote:I'm uncertain what the Heisenberg effect is - can you please amplify?
:wink:
Sorry, Ray, I cannot do that; since it would change the result for others. But I do have a [live] cat in a sealed box for you....