Using system Date variables making JOB slow

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

manish1005
Participant

Using system Date variables making JOB slow

Post by manish1005 »

Hi,

My requirement is to write system timestamp in one of columns of target table. Even if the job runs for two hours, it is okay to populate table with a single timestamp value instead of extracting timestamp from system for each row.

In one of the transformations I am setting DSJobStartTimestamp value to a stage variable and using that for the required column. I noticed now that job is running too slow on my dev machine with just 50rows per second. When I substitute DSJobStartTimestamp with some timestamp value like "2008-10-31 21:59:59" job process at the rate of 1300 rows per second!

I have tried @DATE and datetime() as well but performance is slow when I use them.

Why does using DSJobStartTimestamp makes the job slow, its just a variable - and DS may not even need to probe system for every row for this since it is fixed within a job!

One way I can think of is to write a simple job to extract date/timestamp from system pass it to @User variable and use that in my current job. I really dont want to create a separate job for this thing. Is there any other possible way?
Please suggest

Btw job is quite simple:
source oracle stage--> TRN with 3 stage variables and minor computation-->Target oracle stage
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It will only be 'fixed within a job' if you use the Sytem Variable in the Initial Value of the stage variable, otherwise it will be evaluated for each record. That and leave the derivation in the Transformer empty.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
manish1005
Participant

Post by manish1005 »

Did that and it worked. Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSJobStartTimestamp is NOT a variable - it's a macro that invokes DSGetJobInfo(DSJ.ME, DSJ.JOBSTARTTIMESTAMP)

Evaluating this for every row could certainly be expected to increase overall execution time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.