Folder stage : Increase the length?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SHARAD123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Folder stage : Increase the length?

Post by SHARAD123 »

Hi Forum,
I have used Folder stage in a job to read a set of files. But the files may contain more than 999,999,999 characters (which is the maximum length that i could specify as the length). Is it possible to increase this length.

Also, it seems that our production server has some memory problems when folder stage is used. Could you please advise me as to the use of folder stage, some best practices, alternatives for folderstage...?

phew....
Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The original purpose for the Folder stage was to be able to grab a number of (small) XML documents out of a directory. Both this original specification and the size of XML documents seems to have gotten well out of hand.

Try an alternative approach using a job sequence loop and a sequential file stage within the job activity inside the loop.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SHARAD123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SHARAD123 »

How can we increase the maximum allowed length of the folder stage?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You cannot. What kind of files are you reading? You may need to loop through them or concatenate them together before processing.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers