Phantom error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Phantom error

Post by veera24 »

hi all,

I've a question regarding phantom error.

Phantom error saying that "Variable previously undefined. Zero length string used" is occurring if i use the Rejected condition in transformer's table level constraint level. I mean if i use "DSLinkName.REJECTED" option in the table level constraint field.

But sometimes its not showing any such warning i mean in some other jobs when i use the same condition. In many of the jobs i've faced this issue and when i looked into RT_BP directory i found that it was because of the rejected condition i mentioned in the constraint field. Will it be the problem with data or any thing behind that?

Why it is happening like that? Is there any particular reason why data stage is throwing that error?

Pls. let me know.

Your time will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
veera...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Probably that the REJECTED link variable is not correctly initialized. This - if my diagnosis (based on your description) is correct - is a bug in the product, one about which you can do nothing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Probably that the REJECTED link variable is not correctly initialized. This - if my diagnosis (based on your description) is correct - is a bug in the product, one about which you can do nothing. ...
Yes ray. I am also thinking the same. Because sometimes its throwing warning but sometimes not. If am having two transformers in a job and if i am using the rejected condition in both the transformers then it is throwing the warning for one of the transformer alone and not for the two. really am fed up why it is behaving like that.

And more over if i use both the input and output links constraints simultaneously in a single transformer then also it is throwing the warning. I mean DSlinkinput.Rejected and as well as DSlinkoutput.Rejected in a single stretch. But sometimes it is accepting that condition.

One more question ray

What might be the exact cause for the occurrance of this phantom error? And why it is happening?Just wanna know about it tats y am asking. Hope you would give me the valuable inputs to improve my knowledge.

Thanks...
Thanks in advance...
veera...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Variable not assigned" will not be generated unless you (that is, the code) tries to access that variable. A Transformer with only a single output link does not need to.

The cause can only be poor code generation. Examine the code produced by the Transformer stage (in the RT_BPnnn directory) to see what I mean.

Then involve your support provider.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.