Merge

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Merge

Post by veera24 »

hi all,

I am getting the following warning when am trying to merge the data using Merge stage.

"Value treated as NULL
Attempt to convert String value "R" to Time stamp type unsuccessful"

Am getting the output correctly but still getting the warning like this. I don know why its throwing like that. But i've followed a work around and also i might not be sure whether that work around is advisable to do or not. So Ds Gurus pls. help me to resolve this.

Let me explain the work around

Before merging the data i've changed the Time stamp data type into Character and after merging i've changed the character type into timestamp data type. After doing like this i didn come with warning i've said above.

And am not pretty clear that whether this is work around or not. because it may be the rule/way to merge the date fields. If so, pls. pls. excuse.
Thanks in advance...
veera...
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

What is the meaning of the value 'R' in your field? You are trying to convert this value into a timestamp. So you need to put in the rule to handle this value before passing it on to the target stage as a timestamp.
For instance you might decide to filter out all records with the value R in this field or whatever.
You decide. You code accordingly. DS can't do that for you.
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

John Smith wrote:What is the meaning of the value 'R' in your field? You are trying to convert this value into a timestamp. So you need to put in the rule to handle this value before passing it on to the target stage as a timestamp.
For instance you might decide to filter out all records with the value R in this field or whatever.
You decide. You code accordingly. DS can't do that for you.
Nope!!!!!!!!!!! there is no such R in the field. But still its showing the warning. I would've done that before asking this question in forum if R was present in the column. Thanks.
Thanks in advance...
veera...
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

chill man. have you profiled your data? that error message seems to indicate a data/data tpye issue that's all.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please post the exact and entire error message.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, we're not getting enough from the error message alone. Somewhere, perhaps in your source data, there is a value "R" that is not being successfully converted to a timestamp. Can you please therefore post (a) your job design and (b) the column definitions of your source data?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

ray.wurlod wrote:OK, we're not getting enough from the error message alone. Somewhere, perhaps in your source data, there is a value "R" that is not being successfully converted to a timestamp. Can you please theref ...
No ray when am trying to view the data at th output, i can see the data properly. I dont know why the log is coming. Am damn sure that there is no such R character in the source field value. But still am facing the same error. that is why am asking whether merge stage will allow timestamp field to merge or should we change that into char field and then merge?.. the later one got worked out successfully for me. Pls. suggest me.
Thanks in advance...
veera...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't be "damn sure". Check. If there were no "R" in your data you would not get this error message.
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Don't be "damn sure". Check. If there were no "R" in your data you would not get this error message. ...
Why i said like that was i have already checked for that value by giving constraints. Thats y only i said
Thanks in advance...
veera...