disk space using by datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

disk space using by datastage

Post by vsi »

Hi, Please let me know how to check the total space using by datstage in windows.

Thanks,
vsi
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Most of the disk space used in Server jobs is in the project directory. You can put hashed files anywhere you wish on disk, though; so unless you don't use nonlocal hashed files or have specific places where these reside it is going to be difficult to know exactly how much space is used in server jobs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can execute the AVAIL command as a TCL command.

Edit (resulting from ag_ram's quibble):

This will show total size of file systems and, most importantly for DataStage, available free space.

The best way to determine space occupied by DataStage is through monitoring. Measure free space before and after installing, before and after creating a project, and so on, allowing for any other applications that may also use disk space in the same file system.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

vsi wrote:Please let me know how to check the total space using by datstage in windows
ray.wurlod wrote:You can execute the AVAIL command as a TCL command.
The command AVAIL in DataStage shell is NOT used to check the total space using by datstage instead it displays statistics about available disk space, including the number of bytes used, the number of bytes still available, and the percent of total disk space used. as a whole, not paricularly for DataStage.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW wrote:Most of the disk space used in Server jobs is in the project directory
I have a few questions:

1. What you do mean by "Most of the disk space" here? Are you meaning the Job runtime files?

2. Can we derive a same statement for parallel Job as well.

Please educate me.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

with respect to (1) I meant that it doesn't include the repository itself, which isn't that small anymore but at least doesn't grow in size much.

(2) No, PX jobs store their dataset data in the location(s) specified in the APT_CONFIG file(s), so determining how much space is used requires looking there as well.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW wrote:with respect to (1) I meant that it doesn't include the repository itself, which isn't that small anymore but at least doesn't grow in size much.
As per your say, it does not include repository itself, What it does include, then?

I feel that you missed to say that. Could you please complete this or please make me much aware of you said.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ag_ram - I am sorry that you feel that way, but I don't think I missed anything at all. If the original poster has additional questions that is one thing, but if you need further information you can think about starting a new thread.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW wrote:Most of the disk space used in Server jobs is in the project directory
I still do pose one more query for a better understanding of your Statement as it seems to be new to me here. [I am not afraid to create a new thread, though]

1. If the disk space occupied by Server Job is not mainly concerned with runtime files or repository in the project directory, do you come to mean that the Source/Target files(Sequential, Hashed file, Complex flat file) possibly occupy disk space in the project directory especially Server Job?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Server sequential and hashed files are, by default, created in the project directory. This means that, unless the developers have chosen another path, the data will end up in the project directory.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

would you allow me to take a chance to complete your statement with pleasure as -

"Most of the disk space used in Server jobs is in the project directory, unless the developers have chosen another path in the target file Stages."