Seqeuncer is not triggering jobs immediately

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Seqeuncer is not triggering jobs immediately

Post by ag_ram »

Hi
I have a sequencer which calls 6 jobs sequencially. It works will functionally and logically. But sometime sequencer wont trigger the next job immediately once previous job is finished with status Ok. It takes around 20 -30 min to trigger the next job. It is not the case of one job in sequencer. It happens for all the four jobs too. Once this slow run is finished in the next run of sequencer (from scheduler) sequencer runs normally....I mean jobs getting triggered immediately. Why this weird behaviour of sequencer? I tried stopping the sequencer and it never stops from director. I have killed the process and run the sequencer. Same issue occurs again.
Please suggest the possible reason for it.

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The important part is that if you issue a "Quit" from the director and the sequence doesn't stop in a reasonable amount of time (give it a minute or two). This means that the sequencer is running something which is not interruptable by the "quit" signal.

I assume that when this 20-30 minute pause is occuring that the status of the jobs called by the sequence is not "running". What does your sequence do - just call the jobs in sequence or some other actions?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could do worse than to inspect the generated code (on the Job Sequence's job properties Job Control tab) to see if there's anything there that might explain the delay you are reporting.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

It was issue related director logs of the jobs. For these jobs director log was huge. I made some tuning in auto-purge settings. From then sequencer is able to run normally as expected. Thanks.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

ag_ram wrote:It was issue related director logs of the jobs. For these jobs director log was huge. I made some tuning in auto-purge settings. From then sequencer is able to run normally as expected. Thanks.
Can you explain a bit. I fail to understand how a log file can stop job for 20-30 minutes. What was the purge setting that you tuned.

I could have understood if your job was giving a large number of warnings, but i have always seen that the sequencer has limited set of messages (as compared to job).
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Does any of your jobs within the sequence call Operating System commands( Before/After job commands)? I had similar issues, on resetting the individual job i found a lot of information that i did not understand - perhaps DSD_RUN PHANTOM ( i have posted the specific information sometime back)..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Job start time can be extended not only if the job log has lakhs of entries but also if the &PH& directory has very many entries. You should strive regularly to purge old entries from &PH& as well as from the job log.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.