Data Stage Report

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

das_nirmalya
Participant

Data Stage Report

Post by das_nirmalya »

We can generate in JOB level from job properties in DS parallal job.

But i want to generate the report in Sequence level, if seq contain 2 job then report should contain details of 2 jobs in a single log file

and another thing is it possible to give user defined report name ? other than generating system define name like jobname_timestamp.

Please give details
nsd
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you mean Report or Log? They are different.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
das_nirmalya
Participant

Post by das_nirmalya »

ray.wurlod wrote:Do you mean Report or Log? They are different. ...
I mean Report
nsd
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Open the Designer and click the Job Report tool (the one that looks like an Internet Explorer icon). Does this report contain sufficient detail?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Not intending to answer instead expanding the question to reach the extreme of our need.

das_nirmalya wrote:But i want to generate the report in Sequence level, if seq contain 2 job then report should contain details of 2 jobs in a single log file
Can we have any customization in the default(or other if chosen) XSL Stylesheet to get Job report for the Job Sequence and the Job Report for the Jobs, which are configured inside the Job Sequence, in the same Job Sequence Reporting folder. (such as - Job Sequence HTML Report, Job Sequence Design BMP file, <Job Report HTML Report, Job Design BMP file>,...)?

and another thing is it possible to give user defined report name ? other than generating system define name like jobname_timestamp.
I am sure enough to note that this can be accomplished by taking the Job Report through Command line. I wonder why there are no options in the GUI Job reporting tool to obtain such options - User defined Job Report Name, Include Job Design BMP file, Job Report format(XML/HTML)?
das_nirmalya
Participant

Re: Data Stage Report

Post by das_nirmalya »

das_nirmalya wrote:We can generate in JOB level from job properties in DS parallal job.

But i want to generate the report in Sequence level, if seq contain 2 job then report should contain details of 2 jobs in a single log file

Please give details
I want to create Log file in sequence level , so that when seq run , it will generate the log file automatically for individual jobs those are embeded in Sequence
nsd
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

das_nirmalya wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:Do you mean Report or Log? They are different. ...
I mean Report
If this is stated by you, Why there has been a contradictory statement to mean the problem exactly?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The words "in a single log file" in the original post.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Do we have answers for these questions?
ag_ram wrote: 1.
das_nirmalya wrote:But i want to generate the report in Sequence level, if seq contain 2 job then report should contain details of 2 jobs in a single log file
Can we have any customization in the default(or other if chosen) XSL Stylesheet to get Job report for the Job Sequence and the Job Report for the Jobs, which are configured inside the Job Sequence, in the same Job Sequence Reporting folder. (such as - Job Sequence HTML Report, Job Sequence Design BMP file, <Job Report HTML Report, Job Design BMP file>,...)?

I am sure enough to note that this can be accomplished by taking the Job Report through Command line. I wonder why there are no options in the GUI Job reporting tool to obtain such options - User defined Job Report Name, Include Job Design BMP file, Job Report format(XML/HTML)?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please don't overquote. It's a waste of space on the server. Everything needed already exists in the thread.

The answer to question 1 is "Yes". Question 2 is rhetorical (I wonder why...).
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ray.wurlod wrote:The answer to question 1 is "Yes".
ray.wurlod,

Can you please expand saying how we can achieve this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Open the Designer and click the Job Report tool (the one that looks like an Internet Explorer icon). You can create your own stylesheets to govern the format of the reports thus produced.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ray.wurlod,

Till i have focussed on 'Job Reports', the answer to my question is NO. Because

DataStage Job reporting facility does not indeed generate HTML report but generates an XML report initially to which, the mentioned XSLT Stylesheet applied to convert to HTML to be suitable for viewing in a brower(perhaps Internet Explorer 6.0 for best view). And this intermediate XML report would be deleted after conveting it to HTML Report but would be retained, if desired to look at [External option]. If there is any need to modify(format) the converted HTML Report, all user defined customizations would be made to default XSLT Stylesheet(or new custom XSLT Stylesheet) with a proper consideration of generated XML Report. Most important that the customized XSLT Stylesheet does not guarentee that such customizations made inside would result to generating Job Reports individiually for all Jobs configured to be run in a Job Sequence.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I can not correct you because, frankly, I do not understand what you wrote. Could you perhaps attempt to rewrite it in a less opaque style?
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Sure... in the words from DataStage Release 7.5 Developer's Help pages
DataStage Release 7.5 Developer's Help wrote: ...(the report is initially generated in XML, the stylesheet converts it to HTML, suitable for viewing in a browser). You can also define a custom stylesheet for this purpose, in which case choose User defined stylesheet and type in, or browse for, the pathname of your stylesheet....

...Select Retain intermediate XML file to prevent DataStage deleting the intermediate file it generates. You will need to look at this file if you want to define your own XSLT stylesheet...
Most important that the customized XSLT Stylesheet does not guarentee that such customizations made inside would result to generating Job Reports individiually for all Jobs configured to be run in a Job Sequence.

Hope now you could correct me if i am anyway wrong.