row splitter stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

M.Tick
Participant

row splitter stage

Post by M.Tick »

Hi ,
Can anybody please tell me about how to use row splitter stage in job .
Actually i am getting problem for the output link of this stage . I dont
know how to specify the output columns for this stage . Do we have to give
derivations for the output columns ? If yes , then what should i write in
the derivation ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome! First question would be - have you read the documentation on the stage? You should be able to find a 'rowsplit.pdf' in the Docs directory on your pc. For example, one question answered there - the derivation column is not used.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
M.Tick
Participant

Post by M.Tick »

yes i have already read the documentation but i am a new user
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

New but did you get any training or were you just thrown straight into the deep end of the pool? Per the documentation, the RowSpitter stage "Reads one row at a time, splits the data fields contained in a string into a number of columns, and then writes the columns to the output link". In other words it parses one column/field into multiple columns/fields.

Why don't we start with you explaining what your job is trying to accomplish and some idea what your design and data look like at the moment? Perhaps that stage is not appropriate for the task at hand.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, you do need to specify how the Row Splitter stage is to parse the input field. How have you done this? It is usually done with metadata definitions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
warice
Participant

Post by warice »

i have same problem. I want to split a char row into two char rows. I 've specified the row(which i want to split) as the stage input and the two rows(which i want to obtain) as stage ouputs, but my work doesn't run.
sachin1
Participant

Post by sachin1 »

hi warice can you give your input string and what you want in output plus what delimiter you have given in output tab of Row_Splitter stage.