Vertical pivot

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Vertical pivot

Post by samsuf2002 »

Hi All , I have to do vertical pivot in server , my requirement is i have 2 cols A $ B in source table and i want to get one row in output having same A value and different B values in multiple columns. Can any one please show me how to handle this requirement.

Thanks in Advance
hi sam here
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First question would be - have you searched this forum for 'vertical pivot'? The technique has been explained quite a number of times.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nivas
Participant

Post by nivas »

This topic earlier explained. But I would like to give brief info.

You need to use variables and concatenate the cols based on key col . You need to use hash file and make the key col as the key in hash file. There by you will have the vertical pivot records in hash file.
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

Nivas- I did as you said and as i found in some of the helpful posts but now my output looks like key col A and B col having values X,Y,Z,W ....but my requirement is to get X,Y,Z,W in 4 different columns...
hi sam here
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Post examples - sample input records and what they should look like after the pivot.
-craig

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Upto my understanding, the Requirement is to create output columns which need to be as many different values as in the particular Column of the Input records.

If the assumed requirement is correct, Solution is most probably impossible, since the creation of Input/Output medadata should not be depending on the data flowing in.
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

Input id ---

Code: Select all

Key_col Code_col
123       100
123       200
123       300
345       500
345       600
345       700
345       800
Output should be --

Code: Select all

Key_col Code_col1 Code_col2 Code_col3 Code_col4
123        100       200       300      
345        500       600       700       800 
[/list]
hi sam here
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Maximum number of pivoted columns is known? Always 4?
-craig

samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

No Chulett maximum number of pivoted columns can be more upto 20.
hi sam here
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ag_ram wrote:Upto my understanding, the Requirement is to create output columns which need to be as many different values as in the particular Column of the Input records.

If the assumed requirement is correct, Solution is most probably impossible, since the creation of Input/Output medadata should not be depending on the data flowing in.
Nothing is impossible. A simple solution that handles an arbitrary number of input rows (output columns) can be readily accomplished using the multi-valued metadata handling capability of the UV stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Of course. I believe that If the file is a Hashed file or ready-to-be-converted-as-Hashed file, We could take advantage of Hashed File concept and derive the solution using multi-valued metadata handling capacity of the UV stage as ray.wurlod reacted.
Rajee
Participant

Post by Rajee »

samsuf2002 wrote:Nivas- I did as you said and as i found in some of the helpful posts but now my output looks like key col A and B col having values X,Y,Z,W ....but my requirement is to get X,Y,Z,W in 4 different columns...
I have also implemented vertical pivoting much similar to how Nivas has explained.But instead of writing it to hash file I used stage variables and stored the values of all the columns(4 pivot columns) seperated by a delimiter in one stage variable and then I used the Field function to extract each column value seperately and wrote it to a sequential file.I think my approach may help you out in implementing your logic.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ag_ram wrote:Of course. I believe that If the file is a Hashed file or ready-to-be-converted-as-Hashed file, We could take advantage of Hashed File concept and derive the solution using multi-valued metadata handling capacity of the UV stage as ray.wurlod reacted.
Or for us Luddites who didn't cut our teeth on multi-valued metadata, a plain old hashed file can be used as long as the maximum number of columns to pivot is known - even if it is 'up to 20'.

Read from and write to the same hashed file. Each write to the hashed file populates one more of the of the data fields in order. You don't even need sorted input for this technique, unless your 'code_col' needs to be pivoted in order.
-craig

samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

Thanks to all, its working fine....i used the idea given by Rajee by holding code values in one stage variable and then using Field() to split the values in different output columns (in my case it will be 20 output columns)...... Now my concern is whether its worth using hashed file because my data can be around 9 million.
hi sam here
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you've got it working fine now... I certainly wouldn't worry about changing it. Just keep that in mind as a possibility next time.
-craig