81002 - Connection is down (UniData)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ldesilvio
Premium Member
Premium Member

81002 - Connection is down (UniData)

Post by ldesilvio »

This one is new to me. We upgraded DS from 6.0 to 7.5.2 on Windows 2000 Server SP4, running all Server jobs. Before the upgrade, all jobs ran fine in 6.0. However, after installing 7.5.2, I'm now having an issue with one job. The source is UniData (Infolease) and the target is Oracle. This job does a select criteria on 20 million rows in a UniData file and grabs around 3 million or so. It appears that when the select is finished and ready to read the rows into DataStage, these error messages appear in the Director log:

ds_udtopen() Unable to execute file SELECT - 81002 - Connection is down

DSD.UDTOpen GCI $DS.UDTOpen error 24

Again, we have over a hundred other Unidata-source jobs and they ran fine after the upgrade. Another factor is that this job takes over an hour to do the select. I have the timeout set to 86000 seconds in Administrator. Thanks in advance.
ldesilvio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ldesilvio »

Forgot to mention that if I select all 20 million rows without the SELECT criteria in the UniData stage, it will get past the error spot and start sourcing the rows.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sounds very much like a timeout at the UniData end. Are the columns involved in the WHERE clause indexed? If they were, then maybe your SELECT would finish fast enough not to time out. Just a thought.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ldesilvio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ldesilvio »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for responding. The one overriding factor in all of this is that we never saw this error in DS ver. 6. With the upgrade to 7.5.2, we now see this error. Could it be that since ver. 7 uses UniObjects instead of ObjectCall, there would be a different timeout involved?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Anything is possible. It may be that you are now dealing with larger volumes of data than previously, and that the version of DataStage is not a factor. Or it may be. Can you execute the query "natively" in UniData without any problem?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ldesilvio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ldesilvio »

We can run the query without a problem in UniData.

I've contacted IBM support on this and they are working on it. I'll submit the final verdict here. Thanks again, Ray.