Commit Size in DB2 Bulk Load Stage ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kaps
Participant

Commit Size in DB2 Bulk Load Stage ?

Post by kaps »

Hi

I am not able to find commit size or commit interval in DB2 Bulk load stage.

Does this mean it gets commited after loading all the records into table ? If that's the case then what is the use of Restart count parameter in this stage ?

Please advise.

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Use help property to find out what that particular property is for. I know there is a place where you can specify commit intervals, maybe Transaction count :roll:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no such thing as COMMIT when bulk loading. Bulk loading is not a transactional operation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi,

the Db2 Load utility writes directly to the storage (containers) and does not use the SQL insert. Therefore the data can not be commited until the load utility finishes.
BUT there is an option SAVECOUNT which implements consistency points - similar to commit but not on a SQL basis.
So SAVECOUNT (in DataStage it is Save Count) is what you are looking for.

kind regards
Michael
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Good catch - I was thinking transactional, and neglected consistency save points.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

THere you go. SaveCount was the property. Duh... Its been a while since I used a db2 bulk loader :oops:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kaps
Participant

Post by kaps »

If Save Count is the parameter then what should I use there as it's based on consistency points. As for as I know consistency ponits are different phases of bulk loader so I don't think I can give any number there.

Also then what is the use of Restart Count parameter in there ?

Thanks for the replies
attu
Participant

Post by attu »

MT wrote:Hi,

the Db2 Load utility writes directly to the storage (containers) and does not use the SQL insert. Therefore the data can not be commited until the load utility finishes.
BUT there is an option SAVECOUNT which implements consistency points - similar to commit but not on a SQL basis.
So SAVECOUNT (in DataStage it is Save Count) is what you are looking for.

kind regards
Michael
how can we achieve this using db2 ee stage, where we can commit certain number of records being loaded in db2 table.
Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

By starting your own thread over in the PX forum, of course!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers