How to Pass Special Characters as parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rony_daniel
Participant

How to Pass Special Characters as parameters

Post by rony_daniel »

Hi All,

I need to pass a special character (like char(128),char(129)....) as a parameter to my job. How do i do it?

I tried passing the hex values as \x80 OR 0x80 OR &H80
also the dec values as 128 OR \128

None of these works.
Thanks & Regards,
Rony
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

No special characters are allowed. If you need the special characters in a Transformer stage, consider using a Stage Variable's initialize capability to call a Function. Have a custom DS Function fetch the value from either: 1. the environment, 2. reading a file.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

You could try building your parameter string in a user variable activity stage in your job sequence, then pas that string to your job in the job activity stage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Beware that, by default, Char(128) is DataStage's internal representation of NULL, which may yield unexpected effects!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rony_daniel
Participant

Post by rony_daniel »

kcbland wrote:No special characters are allowed. If you need the special characters in a Transformer stage, consider using a Stage Variable's initialize capability to call a Function. Have a custom DS Function fetch the value from either: 1. the environment, 2. reading a file.
Hi kcbland,

If i am to try your first option (which is what they are looking for from me) then how would i populate the envirionment variable with the special characters. I tried to do a copy paste of all the required special characters, but it did not work.
Thanks & Regards,
Rony