UtilityRunJob

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Javieregh
Participant

UtilityRunJob

Post by Javieregh »

Where I can to found information about the syntaxis for: UtilityRunJob?

Thanks a lot
Javier
Consultant in DTS
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's in the Server Job Developer's Guide pdf, but better yet just double-click on the routine itself and all shall be revealed.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Javieregh
Participant

Re: UtilityRunJob

Post by Javieregh »

Thansk for your response

But I read the document and continue my problem, this is the sentence:

If usrEnvVariablesDataforMeasure.ValuePAT > 0 then UtilityRunJob
UtilityRunJob('UT00003jControlJob.ControlJobFactAPORILearnerPAT','parameterjobhost=' :'Server':'|parameterjobUser=':'User':'|parameterjobpass=':'key',0,0)

I'm working in datastage vers 7.5 and Windows

Thank
JAvier
Consultant in DTS
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You haven't stated your actual problem. And is this in a Sequence job? If so, why not use a Job Activity stage for this?
-craig

Javieregh
Participant

Post by Javieregh »

My process is:

UserVariablesActivity--->NestedCondition---->JobActivity

In UserVariables I have an SQL ( select A1 from A). The final result I move a (Var1)

In NestedConditon I make one question: UtilityRunJob("Job", Var1> 0, 0, DSJS.RUNFAILED)

In JobActivity (Master Execute Job/ Control Job). My idea is verify that my table contain data.

Thank
Javier
Consultant in DTS
Javieregh
Participant

Post by Javieregh »

Sorry, my specific problem is:

The function UtilityRunJob doesn't understand my parameters,

UtilityRunJob("Job", Var1 > 0, 0, DSJS.RUNFAILED)

I want to verify the value of Var1 (this value comes from SQL's answer) , if Var1 > 0 I want to run the Job, if not I want to receive an error message.

Thanks
Javier
Consultant in DTS
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Do not use UtilityRunJob in this manner. Use a Job Activity stage to run the job, and simply let the trigger to it evaluate the "Var1 > 0" condition.
-craig

Javieregh
Participant

Post by Javieregh »

My idea of using UtilityRunJob is evaluate if I can or not to Run the Master Sequence Job. I mean the next step is already a Job Activity. Do you have another idea that I can use?

Thank
Javier
Consultant in DTS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Run the job from a Job activity. Store the value it retrieves in the job's user status area. Access that value downstream of the Job activity using the $UserStatus activity variable. Make your comparison in a Nested Condition activity to determine whether or not to trigger execution of the other job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Javieregh wrote:I mean the next step is already a Job Activity. Do you have another idea that I can use?
:? Sorry, but I don't see the relevance of your comment. You can have as many Job Activity stages in the Sequence as you need. So, if you need to, put another Job Activity stage before the existing one. Let it whatever you are trying to launch with the utility.

Your problem is twofold. Not only is UtilityRunJob not appropriate in a Sequence job, you cannot use it in a trigger expression like you seem to be doing. You would use it in a Server job's transformer stage, in a situation where you needed to run a job - over and over - once for every record that flows through the job.

And the triggers evalute expressions. So after the job runs that determines Val1, use the triggers from the Nested Exception stage to decide if it was "> 0" or not and branch accordingly.
-craig

Javieregh
Participant

Post by Javieregh »

Thank for your comments..

I'm continuing my investigation..
Consultant in DTS