MetaData Mismatch - NLS problem?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

j.anderson
Charter Member
Charter Member

MetaData Mismatch - NLS problem?

Post by j.anderson »

We have an Oracle database that was recently moved from AIX/Oracle to RedHat/Oracle. The DataStage server jobs that connect to it via ODBC are now producing warnings on some fields:

Message: ThisIsMyJobName..ODBCTables.InsJobRunLog: DSD.BCIOpenW results of SQLColAttributes(USERID) gave MetaData mismatch
COLUMN.TYPE Expected = Char Actual =

When I use DataStage Manager to import the new database's metadata, I noticed that the offending fields are SQL type "NCHAR". On the old database, they came up as "CHAR".

I talked to my DBA and he said that the only difference is that on the old (working) database had NLS_CHARACTERSET = US7ASCII and the new one had NLS_CHARACTERSET = AL32UTF8.

Could this be the problem? The DBA is trying to figure out how to switch back to US7ASCII on the new database so we can test this theory. (Side note: We do not have NLS installed in DataStage.)
mikegohl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mikegohl »

Did you try changing it on the Job Properties NLS tab to see what happens?
Michael Gohl
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The poster doesn't have NLS installed, so cannot do that. What have you got your Oracle environment variables set to?
j.anderson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by j.anderson »

Here are my environment variables:

ORACLE_SID = [oracle] ? produtil
ORACLE_SID=produtil
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0.3/db_1/lib::/lib32:/lib
PATH=/bin:/product/OPatch:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0.3/db_1/bin
CLASSPATH=/JRE:/jlib:/rdbms/jlib:/network/jlib
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I think you need NLS_LANG and NLSPATH for Oracle, but I'm not a terminal where I can check that. Actually, a search of DSXchange will probably give you more information than you need about NLS_LANG settings and how they can make your life easier.