Regarding CSV type files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Regarding CSV type files

Post by veera24 »

hi all,
Am having excel sheet as the source for my job. I've saved that XLS sheet in CSV format. Since it is a CSV file, i gave comma(,) as a delimiter. But one of my address field column looks like this:170,Pine Street,New York.
DS taking this as three diff columns and am not getting the right output.
Is there any other way to effectively use Excel sheet as the source instead of converting into CSV file format.Your time is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
veera
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Use psv. Pipe seperated values. Now Pipe will be the field delimiter.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Or tab-delimited. Tabs in data are fairly rare, since tab in Windows applications moves one to the next field.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or force the columns to be 'Text', then I would think Excel would quote the string and the comma won't be a problem. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

kumar_s wrote:Use psv. Pipe seperated values. Now Pipe will be the field delimiter. ...
Thanks kumar...I've used PSV and got the soln. Thanks for ur time
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

kumar_s wrote:Use psv. Pipe seperated values. Now Pipe will be the field delimiter. ...
I can able to get the data from XLS sheet into PSV format provided if am supposed to extract the data from MS Access(as of my knowledge).How can i implemnt the same in an ordinary XLS sheet because i haven't found the PSV format.I found TAB Delimited(as ray said) and many stuffs.

Thanks in advance
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Or tab-delimited. Tabs in data are fairly rare, since tab in Windows applications moves one to the next field. ...
Ray
as u said i've changed the format to tab delimited and stored it and how can i give the delimiter value in Datastage?Ur time is highly appreciated.

Thanx..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Specify the delimiter as 009.

Read the Help (press F1 while in the Format page) to see how you specify non-printing delimiter characters.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Specify the delimiter as 009.

Read the Help (press F1 while in the Format page) to see how you specify non-printing delimiter characters. ...
thnx ray
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Looks like it's time to step in for Ray and asked you to mark this one as Resolved. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Instead of that I will make my oft-repeated plea for professional standards of written English.

The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you", not "u". Its possessive form is spelled "your", not "ur". The contraction of "you are" is spelled "you're", not "ur" or "your".

The first person personal pronoun is usually capitalized (that is, "I" not "i").
The word "Thanks" has vowels in it.

Oh, and do please mark the thread as resolved.