Renaming a link breaks a transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Renaming a link breaks a transformer

Post by PhilHibbs »

When I rename the input link to a Transformer, some of the reference link Key Expressions don't change. Is there something I can do differently to avoid this problem?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Which ones won't change specifically - I haven't seen that and rename my links frequently.
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

I think.. when you rename the input link.. the key expression for the first field changes..but for the remaining fields..it does not... rite ?

I also experience this in DataStage 7x , Server, Windows...
Its a know bug from Ascential.. I will post the link of the post I found on the forum for this....

HTH :)
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you referring to the Key Expression on second (and subsequent) reference input links, or subsequent fields on the (only) reference input link? The latter do not need to change; they are not qualified by link name on the reference input link itself. However, some of your stage variable, constraint and output column derivation expressions may become invalidated (yes, they shouldn't in an ideal world, but I always check).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

asitagrawal wrote:I think.. when you rename the input link.. the key expression for the first field changes..but for the remaining fields..it does not... rite ?

I also experience this in DataStage 7x , Server, Windows...
Its a know bug from Ascential.. I will post the link of the post I found on the forum for this....

HTH :)
Yes, that's exactly what I'm seeing. Thanks for confirming it. Is this a 7.5 bug? I'm sure it didn't happen in 7.1 or 7.0.1 or whatever the version I last used a couple of years ago was.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As best as I recall, I've always seen this happen. It's just one of those annoyances you put up with.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

OK, maybe I was hasty when I said "I'm sure"...
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

When a reference link has more than 1 column from the primary input link mapped in the key expression for its multiple column key, the 2nd and on key expressions do not automatically change when the primary input link is renamed. The constraints usually update, but I've also encountered where the constraits don't keep up with the link renaming activity.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle