Exporting - Importing DS components

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

baglasumit21
Participant

Exporting - Importing DS components

Post by baglasumit21 »

While migration from developement to UAT or SIT when we Export the datastage jobs do we need to manually compile the jobs after Importing.

My problem is that suppose I export job1 to a .dsx file. The status of the job in developemnt is compiled. now when I import it to UAT environment the status is 'Not Compiled' I need to manually compile the job.

Is there any way to skip the step of compiling and get the compiled job itself after migration.
SMB
getsatish_gk
Participant

Re: Exporting - Importing DS components

Post by getsatish_gk »

Compile is done to snanity check and to generate runtime code on server.

may be job in new environment has to compile to skanity check and to generate run time code on server.

so that reason job has to compile (recommend even its in compiled state).

I think its a matter of one click of mouse on compile button.
I hope it will not affect the job design or logic.

Is it right?.

Thanks,
Satish - Bangalore - India
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the export includes executables, then it is not necessary to compile in the project into which the components were imported. Equally, it is not wrong to do so. Validating jobs is the preferred way to verify connectivity; parameter defaults may be changed in Director if desired without the need to re-design or re-compile jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Narayana
Participant

Post by Narayana »

We normally run the Tivoli script in our Web Based Software Deployment for getting the jobs compiled in the new Environment.
baglasumit21
Participant

Re: Exporting - Importing DS components

Post by baglasumit21 »

getsatish_gk wrote:Compile is done to snanity check and to generate runtime code on server.

may be job in new environment has to compile to skanity check and to generate run time code on server.

so that reason job has to compile (recommend even its in compiled state).

I think its a matter of one click of mouse on compile button.
I hope it will not affect the job design or logic.

Is it right?.

Thanks,
Satish - Bangalore - India
HI Satish,
Thanks for the information. but in my current project we have operator who will run the jobs in production using a menu designed in Unix and the Import will be done by the operator himself (though by DS Manager) and since I am having more than 400 + jobs so I need to click the button that many times or use the mass compile. But the problem here is that the operator doesnot knows anything about datastage and again its a matter of time as it takes more than an hour to compile all the jobs.
SMB
baglasumit21
Participant

Post by baglasumit21 »

ray.wurlod wrote:If the export includes executables, then it is not necessary to compile in the project into which the components were imported. Equally, it is not wrong to do so. Validating jobs is the preferred wa ...
Thanks ray..
your solution worked.
SMB
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

we have a client-side commandline-tool called "dsmove", which can be controlled by any script like batch or else.

It can:
- import any ds-element
- export jobs, routines and transforms (as single *.dsx-file for each element, if needed)
- delete elements
- compile jobs

all via command line.

If you need more details about "dsmove" let me know.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
baglasumit21
Participant

Post by baglasumit21 »

WoMaWil wrote:we have a client-side commandline-tool called "dsmove", which can be controlled by any script like batch or else.

It can:
- import any ds-element
- export jobs, routines and transforms (as single *.dsx-file for each element, if needed)
- delete elements
- compile jobs

all via command line.

If you need more details about "dsmove" let me know.
sure WoMaWil..
it would be helpful if you can give me more details about the tool, and if possible the source code for it. :)

Thanks in advance...
SMB
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I think you'll find that "have" in this context means "sell". The likelihood of getting source code is therefore vanishingly small.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.