Weired behaviour of sequence job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

baglasumit21
Participant

Weired behaviour of sequence job

Post by baglasumit21 »

I have a sequence job wherein I am using the sequencer stage to run around 25 jobs concurrently. The issue is that the final status of my main job is showed finished but some of my jobs in the sequenc are untouched.
For example

Suppose I have a sequence job "Jobmain" where, after the completion of activity "job1" the sequencer stage passes the control to 25 job activity stages say "job2", "job3",..."job26". When I run the job "Jobmain", in director the status of the job "Jobmain" shows as finished. but some jobs say "job3" , "job5", etc still shows status as compiled. I need to run the "jobmain" multiple times untill I get the status of all the jobs as Finished.

This has been happening for everytime i run the job "jobmain".

I am unable to understand the behaviour. Has anyone faced a similar issue. Can anyone suggest me some solution to this problem.
SMB
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Is it possible to post the job design ? I mean the figure of the job design..

In case you want to trigger all job2 to Job26 in parallel, then you may create another Job Sequence and place all the 26 jobs in that..but none connected to each other (so that they are triggered in parallel).

I am suggesting something like this for the design of JobMain:

Code: Select all

Job1---->JobSeq_new

JobSeq_New will contain all the jobs from Job2 to Job 26, remem without any connection.

HTH.
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

If you are trying to run multiple jobs in parallel, there may be a chance that you will have a resource limitation issue.

Plus you may actually had a job fail, or return a failed error flag, that caused the sequencer to halt, but not abort.
baglasumit21
Participant

Post by baglasumit21 »

asitagrawal wrote:Is it possible to post the job design ? I mean the figure of the job design..

In case you want to trigger all job2 to Job26 in parallel, then you may create another Job Sequence and place all the 26 jobs in that..but none connected to each other (so that they are triggered in parallel).

I am suggesting something like this for the design of JobMain:

Job1---->JobSeq_new

JobSeq_New will contain all the jobs from Job2 to Job 26, remem without any connection.

HTH.
I cannot run the jobs without them being connected as for the Job1 if the User status is 'Completed' then it calls these jobs Job2 to Job 26 and if the user status of all Job2 to Job 26 is 'Completed' then I am updating the control table. So it they are not connected then It wont be possible to check the combined user status which I am currently doing.
SMB
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not true. They can run in parallel - a trigger from each runs through a Sequencer on the downstream side of which you can update the control table.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Job1--<Check Trigger Condition>-->JobSeq_new---<Check the trigger condition>---->JobUpdateControlTable
You can check the status of JobSeq_new... If all the 25 jobs, Job2 to Job 26 have finished , then only the status of JobSeq_new would be finished and the control will be transfered to the next item.

So, depending on the required conditions, you can then execute the job to update the control table.

HTH :)
baglasumit21
Participant

Post by baglasumit21 »

asitagrawal wrote:

Job1--<Check Trigger Condition>-->JobSeq_new---<Check the trigger condition>---->JobUpdateControlTable
You can check the status of JobSeq_new... If all the 25 jobs, Job2 to Job 26 have finished , then only the status of JobSeq_new would be finished and the control will be transfered to the next item.

So, depending on the required conditions, you can then execute the job to update the control table.

HTH :)
Thanks for the advise...
It worked... :D
SMB
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Time to mark the topic as "Resolved" please :)