Error when compiling in Universe

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RodBarnes
Charter Member
Charter Member

Error when compiling in Universe

Post by RodBarnes »

Being an old DATA-BASIC programmer, I often end up telnetting to the engine and doing preliminary development of functions and routines directly at Universe before I move into final testing in DataStage.

However, I just recently built a new DataStage server an am having an issue I do not have on our other servers: I cannot compile code. When I use the BASIC command, it reports.

Code: Select all

basic: can't open source file '<name> 
Yet, I can compile fine on the other server. They were both built identically (at least, that was the intent. :? ) Clearly, it is a permissions error of some type but I'm using the same logins on both servers and I've compared the security settings on both to ensure they are the same.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm out of ideas. Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What file are you using for your BASIC? A sub-directory type 19 file or a hashed file? Can you try "CREATE.FILE MYBP 19", "ED MYBP TEST" and put in "PRINT 'Hello World'", file & "BASIC MYBP TEST"?
RodBarnes
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RodBarnes »

ArndW wrote:What file are you using for your BASIC? A sub-directory type 19 file or a hashed file? Can you try "CREATE.FILE MYBP 19", "ED MYBP TEST" and put in "PRINT 'Hello World'", file & "BASIC MYBP TEST"?
:oops: Thanks for the direction. I checked and had created the file as a 30 -- must have been out of habit. When I recreated the file as a 19 it worked, of course, the same type I had used on the other server.

I hadn't thought of this because, with other types, the message reports:

Code: Select all

basic: Source '<file>' must be type 1 or 19 file
But when it is a 30 it simply says it cannot access it. That sent me off in the wrong direction. Thanks for clearing it up!