Migrating 7.5.2 to 8.0.1 and Windows to Unix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Migrating 7.5.2 to 8.0.1 and Windows to Unix

Post by paddu »

Apart from these , should i be concerned of anything else.

1. Change file paths
2.Changes ExecDos with ExecSH
3. new line Characters

Some questions:

1.Is it fine if i need to move hashed files to 8.0.1 on Unix?

2.Will the Line Termination automatically change to Unix style in sequential file stage ,if we move jobs to new OS?????

3. Is there any command to directly change hardcoded pathname????

We have a routine which is used to run DS jobs via command line (Windows only)

Input value in Before-job subroutine is something like this

E:\Ascential\DataStage\Engine\bin\dsjob -file E:\Ascential\DataStage\Engine\bin\login.txt #$en_ETLSERVER# -run -jobstatus #$en_PROJECTNAME# JOB_NAME

How i can automatically change "E:\Ascential\DataStage\Engine\bin" with the new path which could be on different drive on UNIX????

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Paddu
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You can run a search and replace on the paths in the project export file to change any hard coded or default job parameter values. You should note the changes you made to your dsenv and environment settings so you can make the equivalent changes on the new server.
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

Thanks vmcburney,

you mean in the dsx file i can change the hard coded paths ?
But i don't see any option of search or replace while importing or exporting the file :?:

Any idea on other questions i asked in my initial post?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What Vincent means is:
export
edit the export file (search and replace)
import

You can do the same with line terminator characters, provided you export with default values of properties included.

ExecDOS to ExecSH could similarly be searched and replaced, but you ought to do this manually so that you can intelligently change DOS command to equivalent UNIX commands as well. For example DEL becomes rm, COPY becomes cp (or mv), and so on.

dsjob is the same on both platforms, except again you will need to convert any pathnames used therein.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

Thanks Ray,

Changing hard coded paths sounds good.

so by default when we move jobs to Unix , sequential files do not use unix style line termination.

Line termination needs to be changed manually from windows to unix.

Is edit export file search and replace line terminator the only option???

example
something like AllowCRLF "0" needs to be now AllowLF "0" in the export file.

we have about the 5-6 projects ( mininum of 800 jobs each ) needs to be moved to UNIX.

Looks like it is potential work to fix the export file before import into new envirnoment.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you sure you need to change the line termination? It's all about who you are creating them for, other Windows or UNIX systems. If it's only for internal consumption by DataStage, it can handle either way without issue.

Pretty sure the only 'con' to using DOS style line terminators on UNIX would be having one extra byte per record in any given file.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, it's work. It's not difficult work, if you're systematic about it, even though it is tedious. And you do need to schedule time to do it. But, if you do it well, you only ever need to do it once (per project).

Not sure about whether AllowCRLF as the right property. Test this. Create a job with UNIX-style terminators and export that, change to DOS-style terminators and export that to a different file, both exports with the "default valued properties" option selected. Compare the two exports and the correct property name will leap out at you.

Another thing to check for and change in the export file is any call to DSExecute in a routine. You will need to change the Shell argument from "DOS" or "NT" to "UNIX", and you may need to change the Command argument to the UNIX-equivalent of the DOS command. Probably manually is best for these also - using your brain is better than using a brainless search and replace.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

I have sequential file stages all over the project to read and write files .

what if i don't change the line termination ?

chulett - Will the jobs run fine with no change?
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

I have sequential file stages all over the project to read and write files .

what if i don't change the line termination ?

chulett - Will the jobs run fine with no change?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From a sequential file line termination standpoint? Yes. A UNIX Server will happily read and write "DOS" files without issue. I would *assume* a Windows Server could do the same with "UNIX" files but I've never had any hands-on time with DataStage on Windows to try.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

Thanks a lot :D

Paddu