dsjob status

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

agathaeleanor
Participant

dsjob status

Post by agathaeleanor »

I have a dsjob that has been running for several days, it suppose to finish in 10 minutes time. It connected to oracle DB that i wish to kill the session but it appears weird that the session wasn't there. I been hitting stop button in datastage few times.
May i know if there is any solution?

Thanks for helping.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It hasn't been running for several days, but rather flagged as running. There are times when jobs can fail and not update the status shown in the Director, which just shows the last known status.

If you know for a fact that the job is not running - you've grepped for the job name amongst any phantom processes currently running on your system, for instance - then use the Job / Clear Status File option in the Director to clear that flag and allow you to rerun the job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
agathaeleanor
Participant

Post by agathaeleanor »

Thanks chulett.

I grepped the process using this command "ps -ef | grep phantom" but I found that the process is still running.

Should i continue with clear the status flag?
What probably causing this to happen that the job is not reached the finish point?
agathaeleanor
Participant

Post by agathaeleanor »

Thanks chulett.

I grepped the process using this command "ps -ef | grep phantom" but I found that the process is still running.

Should i continue with clear the status flag?
What probably causing this to happen that the job is not reached the finish point?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: NO, not if it is still truly running. With phantoms still in place, then at least parts are still running. Does the job connect to a source or target database and are those connections still in place? If so, then a DBA can kill the session and the job should notice and abort.

Otherwise, you'd need to take steps to end those processes yourself. Best place to do that, IMHO, is from the DS.TOOLS menu. Search the forums for many discussions on usage. From Tools Menu #4 Administer processes / locks, try #9 Logout a process for each PID. Once all related processes are gone, only then should you clear the status file.

Worst case you can kill processes from UNIX but only as a last resort and not with the -9 option as that doesn't give it a chance to clean anything up, leaves locks and who knows what still in place and will contribute to an unstable server. Use a straight "kill" or a "kill -15". But first, as noted - use DS.TOOLS after logging to your Project.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
agathaeleanor
Participant

Post by agathaeleanor »

arh, it's abit too late to come across your post. I've kill it in unix but the job status become finish? By seeing the log, the job was modified by me that added in a sleep function causing the job running in a loop that keep greping a process that is still running.

Anyway, thanks for your replied. Appreciate it :)