Serverjob error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karry450
Participant

Serverjob error

Post by karry450 »

Hi friends,

I am getting this error while running a server job.

Job..JobError.ODS_Error.loError_err: DSD.UVOpen mkdbfile: cannot create file //////

can anyone help me please.

thanks
ash_singh84
Participant

Post by ash_singh84 »

I suppose your job is trying to create a hashed file. Please verify that your user has write privliges to the directory where you are creating the file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"//////" is not a legal name for a hashed file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
karry450
Participant

Serverjob error

Post by karry450 »

ray.wurlod wrote:"//////" is not a legal name for a hashed file. ...
//////// is the path i didnt mention sorry.

but for the other jobs having the same directory for creating hashed files im not getting any error.

can anything else be the issue with this.
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

Is that the full error message? If so then file name is empty. Are you hard coding the name or is it parameterized? Post the entire error message will help.
karry450
Participant

Serverjob error

Post by karry450 »

Maveric wrote:Is that the full error message? If so then file name is empty. Are you hard coding the name or is it parameterized? Post the entire error message will help.
Job..JobError.ODS_Error.loError_err: DSD.UVOpen mkdbfile: cannot create file /s/a/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/ABD_UAT/HashFiles/Errors

this is the entire message can you please help me.
ash_singh84
Participant

Post by ash_singh84 »

Please let us know your job design. it seems that you are trying to create a hashed file for error records and no records are qualifying for it.
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

Ok. I am assuming that "Errors" is the file name. And the rest is the path. And it is one single parameter. Now do you have have write or over write (if the file exists already) permissions? Errors might be a reserved word (I am guessing). Try with some other name. Or try creating the file in some other path. Are you using the same user IDs for the job which ran successfully and the job which aborted?
karry450
Participant

Serverjob error

Post by karry450 »

Maveric wrote:Ok. I am assuming that "Errors" is the file name. And the rest is the path. And it is one single parameter. Now do you have have write or over write (if the file exists already) permissions? Errors might be a reserved word (I am guessing). Try with some other name. Or try creating the file in some other path. Are you using the same user IDs for the job which ran successfully and the job which aborted?

Yeah Im using the same userId for both aborted and successfully ran jobs.

anyways ill try with different path/different user id and let you know.

thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

mkdbfile will not be successful if it cannot create the file/directory (verify by testing with "touch" under the same id) or if the file exists already.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In your Hashed File stage, click the Options button and select the "delete before create" check box. This will handle the possibility that the hashed file already exists.

Check carefully that the value being supplied by the parameter (and reported in the error message) is totally correct, even unto spelling and casing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.