DataStage Server Slow Down

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amit_111
Participant

DataStage Server Slow Down

Post by Amit_111 »

Hi All,

On my DataStage Server there are various Projects handled by different users. From Last One week Suddenly the execution time taken by DataStage jobs in my project has increased and the throughput has reduced from 400 rows/sec to 30 rows/sec.
I want to check how much is the load on the DataStage Server? I dont have the admin login. Please let me know the ways/commands from which we can check the load on the server. Also what might be the other possible reasons for this slow down?

Thanks in Advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Without a baseline set of measures from the "good times" it's not going to be a lot of help. Your system administrator will be able to brief you on the various tools and techniques; you might like to review the man pages for the following commands:

iostat

vmstat

netstat
Of course it may have nothing to do with the DataStage server at all; it may be a saturated LAN for example. Was everyone watching the cricket test live in their browsers at the time?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

But if I want to know what is the memory utilization of each project on DS Server then is their any method to know it?
Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Projects don't use memory, jobs do. I would use one user id per project and then measure system memory by userid at runtime to determine what you are looking for.
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Yess....The Same thing ....we also have different user ids for each Project....I want to measure system memory usage by userid at runtime..........Thanks.
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Yess....The Same thing ....we also have different user ids for each Project....I want to measure system memory usage by userid at runtime..........Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are four major resources: CPU, memory, disk throughput and network throughput. Bottlenecks may also occur in database servers due, among other reasons, to locks. Do not concentrate solely on memory. A system that is CPU-bound may also be memory-bound, but you would not detect the latter until you clear the CPU bottleneck, because it is masking the memory bottleneck.

Seek help from someone nearby who is trained in monitoring operating system performance.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.