After Stage Subroutine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

After Stage Subroutine

Post by Latha1919 »

Hi,
We are in the process of migrating DS 5.1 to 7.5. We have 5.1 jobs on one server and 7.5 jobs on the other server. When I process the data, it should create an .Out file on the server. However the file would be erased on the server, when there is no data in it. The "Erase" process is done through an after-Stage Subroutine based on one of the common variable value. If the value is Zero, it will delete the file else keeps it.

When I process the same set of data by both the versions DS jobs, the .out file is created by Version 5.1 jobs but not by Version 7.5 jobs. I can see the data passing to the .out file 9wrote to a sequential file), but it' deleted by the end of the job run.
Any ideas?? Appreciate your help.
Thanks
dsx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not without seeing the job design and the routine code.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

Ok. Job has the stages in the following sequence:
ODBC stage (O1) --> Transf Stage (T1) --> Seq.File Stage (S1) --> Transf Stage (T2) --> ODBC Stage (O2)
In stage T1, in the constraints section, included a routine "CountRowOut" to count the number of rows passing to the sequential file in S1. following is the code of this routine. It has two i/p parameters Command, OutputIndicator
COMMON /CountFileOut/ Status, Reason, FileOutRows
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!
! COUNT FILE OUT
! - PERFORM FILE OUT ROW COUNT TO DETERMINE WHETHER TO KEEP FILE OUT FILE
!
! Command ==> 1 ==> set common and return status
! 2 ==> set common and return reason
! 3 ==> return status
! 4 ==> return reason
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

! COMMANDS 1 AND 2 WILL PERFORM THE REQUIRED VALIDATIONS AND SET THE VALUE OF THE COMMON
! AREA VARIABLES - REASON (CONTAINS ERROR MSGS) AND STATUS ('TRUE' = ERRORS WERE FOUND).
! COMMANDS 3 AND 4 WILL ONLY ACCESS THE VALUES ALREADY SET IN THE COMMON AREA VARIABLES
! AND RETURN THE REQUESTED VALUE.

If Command = 1 Or Command = 2 Then
Reason = ""
Status = @TRUE

! COUNT OUT FILE ROWS
If IsNull(OutputIndicator) Then
Status = @FALSE
End

Reason = Trim(Reason)
If Status Then
FileOutRows += 1
End

End

Begin Case
Case Command = 1
Ans = Status
Case Command = 2
Ans = Reason
Case Command = 3
Ans = Status
Case Command = 4
Ans = Reason
End Case
In Transformer Stage T2, I have a routine "CleanupFileOut", which is meant for deleting the file if its empty. Code of the routine is as below. In this routine, it is checking the common variable "FileOutRows" against zero. I assume this comparison is failing, as it is initially writing the data to file, but by end of the job run, its deleting the file.
COMMON /CountFileOut/ Status, Reason, FileOutRows
! CLEAN UP FILE OUT FILE
! IF NO RECORDS POSTED TO FILE, DELETE 'FILE OUT'- FILE)

ErrorCode = 0 ; * set this to non-zero to stop the stage/job

DirName = Field(InputArg,"~",1)
FileName = Field(InputArg,"~",2)
dttm = Field(InputArg,"~",3)

If FileOutRows = 0 Then
Command = 'Erase "':DirName:'\':FileName :'.':dttm:'.fileout.csv"'
End

Call DSExecute("NT", Command, Output, SystemReturnCode)
This routine is working well in DS 5.1 but not in 7.5. Appreciate your help.

Thanks
dsx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I can not see in CountRowOut where the row count is calculated nor where Reason is set to anything but "". On that basis, FileOutRows seems never to be set and would therefore always be 0 when accessed from CleanupFileOut. Therefore the Erase command will never be executed.

Check that your routine code for both routines is exactly the same on the version 5 system and the version 7 system.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

! COUNT OUT FILE ROWS
Status = @FALSE
End

Reason = Trim(Reason)
If Status Then
FileOutRows += 1
End
The above code of the routine - CountFileOut, increments the FileOutRows (which is a common variable) based on the not null value of OutputIndicator.
dsx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Wrapping your code in Code tags (to preserve the indenting) would have made that easier to see, though I admit fault for missing it. How about modifying the after-stage subroutine with some diagnostic statements so that you can see exactly what's happening?

What is the value of Command if FileOutRows is non-zero? You appear to invoke DSExecute outside the scope of the If test.

Code: Select all

$DEFINE DEBUGGING
If FileOutRows = 0 Then 
   Command = 'Erase "':DirName:'\':FileName :'.':dttm:'.fileout.csv"' 
$IFDEF DEBUGGING
   Msg = "FileOutRows is zero, Command is " : Command
   Call DSLogInfo(Msg, "Debugging")
$ENDIF
End 
Else
$IFDEF DEBUGGING
   Msg = "FileOutRows is " : FileOutRows : ", Command is "
   If UnAssigned(Command) 
      Then Msg := "unassigned."
      Else If IsNull(Command) Then Msg := "null." Else Msg := Command
$ENDIF
End

Call DSExecute("NT", Command, Output, SystemReturnCode) 
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

When I implemented the above mentioned logic in the CleanupFileOut routine, message logged was "(Debugging): FileOutRows is zero, Command is Erase "d:\smdpi\outbox\73434.20080112_154657.fileout.csv". However, when I slightly modified the code for CountFileOut routine to include log message as below

! COUNT OUT FILE ROWS
            Status = @FALSE
         End

Reason = Trim(Reason)

If Status Then
            FileOutRows += 1

$DEFINE DEBUGGING 
        $IFDEF DEBUGGING 
        Msg = "FileOutRows is " : FileOutRows
        $ENDIF 

End
the message logged has "(Debugging): FileOutRows is 1". Similarly 29 more msgs were logged, which have FileOutRows value from 2 to 30. I assume

CleanupFileOut routine is unable to access the FileOutRows common variable value.
dsx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If CleanupFileOut is an after stage subroutine with a compatible COMMON declaration, then it's in the same process and should be able to access the variables declared to be in that COMMON area.

If CleanupFileOut is an after job subroutine then it's in a different process and would not be able to access the variables in the stage's COMMON area.

According to your original post the first scenario applies, so I am at a loss to explain what's going on here.

It's tedious, I know, but can you put in some debugging statements to show us what's happening with the Reason and Status variables?

$IFDEF DEBUGGING
Message = "Intermediate variables"
Message<-1> = "Reason = " : Oconv(Reason, "S*;*;'NULL'")
Message<-1> = "Status = " : Oconv(Status, "S*;*;'NULL'")
Call DSLogInfo(Message, "Debugging")
$ENDIF
Using a substitution conversion is a cute way of handling the possibility of NULL.
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

When I included the given debugging statements, I found 30 rows logged with

Intermediate variables
Reason = 
Status = 
CountFileOut is a Transform Function and is called in the constraints section of the Transformer stage, with input parameter "Command" value as 1 and with the OutputIndicator value coming from the previous ODBC stage. And CleanupFileOut is an After-Stage Routine only. From the log, I can very clearly see that "(Debugging): FileOutRows is zero, Command is Erase d:\smdpi\outbox\73435.20080115_102657.fileout.csv".
Also, fyi, there is no change in common declaration in both the function and after-stage routine.
dsx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If Status is empty then the row count will not be incremented, according to your logic. Add a debugging statement in the after-stage subroutine to report the values of the three COMMON variables immediately on entry.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Wait a second - you have two Transformers and are attempting to share the same COMMON area between them? And, there's a passive stage between the two? I don't think this works anymore after 5.1 because of the introduction of row-buffering and inter-processing options.

I believe that the two Transformers are totally separate processes now, but you need to verify this. The easiest way is to go to Job Properties and look at the Performance tab. Disable "Use Project Defaults" as this may be to use Inter-process buffering which defeats COMMONs. Make sure nothing is checked and try your job again.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I understood that everything was in T2, which would discount that argument. If my assumption is wrong, then I'm with Ken - COMMON is unique to one process - with an intermediate passive stage or with inter-process row buffering you force the active stages to run in separate processes, so the COMMON area of one would not be accessible to the other.
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

Wait a second - you have two Transformers and are attempting to share the same COMMON area between them? And, there's a passive stage between the two? I don't think this works anymore after 5.1 because of the introduction of row-buffering and inter-processing options
Yes. We have two transformer stages, and are connected through a Passive stage. Stages order looks as below.

ODBC stage (O1) --> Transf Stage (T1) --> Seq.File Stage (S1) --> Transf Stage (T2) --> ODBC Stage (O2)

In T1, in constraints section, I am calling the Transform Function "CountFileOut". Here, I am passing 1 and a value from ODBC stage. In T2, "CleanupFileOut" routine is called as "After-Stage"
Disable "Use Project Defaults" as this may be to use Inter-process buffering which defeats COMMONs. Make sure nothing is checked and try your job again.
"Use Project Defaults" was checked, I unchecked it and no other options in this tab are checked. Still the file is erased at the end of the job. I could see the file written to the server during the job run. I think it's the issue accessing the COMMON variable.
dsx
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Yeah, I suspected as much. You're going to have to use a file to transport data between your two Transformers if you want a low impact change. Have your first routine write out a file with the row count and have the other read the file.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

With the intermediate Sequential File stage that shouldn't have worked in 5.1 either, unless (for whatever reason) DataStage allocated the same process to execute T2 as it had used to execute T1. No way to check, alas, no longer have a 5.1 installation available.