Server Jobs....

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

senthilt1
Participant

Server Jobs....

Post by senthilt1 »

Hi All,

Whatever the code we do with server job, is it possible to do with parallel job?

If Yes, which one is better server jobs or parallel job?

Which will have the future, Server or Parallel?

Since am working only with server edition, i would like to know my future with it. Please help me with your view on this.

Thanks a lot friend.

Warm Regards,
SenthilP
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Server Jobs....

Post by chulett »

Whatever the code we do with server job, is it possible to do with parallel job?

Basically, yes. Doesn't necessarily go the other way.

If Yes, which one is better server jobs or parallel job?

Better? Depends on the task.

Which will have the future, Server or Parallel?

Parallel.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Server and Parallel might share a common graphical user front-end but they are (and will always be) separate and different products. Code written in one will not work in the other and the jop design approach is different in both products.

The Server product and the underlying PICK-based "DS Engine" are scheduled to be supplanted by the PX/EE engine in the future. The first phase of this has already happened with DataStage version 8, where much of the metadata has been moved from the DS Engine to an external repository which can (theoretically) reside in any SQL-compliant database but is currently restricted to just a couple.

The complete transition away from Server will not happen for years. The majority of DataStage code out there is of the Server type. Since there is no automated tool for conversion IBM cannot force a change but at some point they will "end of life" the product and give customers whatever the contractual time period is (I think it is 3 years, but might be 5 in some places).

Don't misunderstand me about Server and PX/EE performance - there are many cases where it is better to put in Server jobs instead of PX/EE ones. There are some very powerful string and data handling functions in Server which have no counterpart in PX/EE jobs.
senthilt1
Participant

Re: Server Jobs....

Post by senthilt1 »

Hi Craig Hulett

Thanks a lot for your idea on this.

Warm Regards,
SenthilP
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... Arnd gave you a far more complete answer than I did.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
senthilt1
Participant

Post by senthilt1 »

HI Arnd,

Excellent view on this! I got your point.

Thanks.
senthilt1
Participant

Post by senthilt1 »

HI Arnd,

Excellent view on this! I got your point.

Thanks.