How to Connect to DB2 On Mainframes from Datastage version 8

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pradkumar
Charter Member
Charter Member

How to Connect to DB2 On Mainframes from Datastage version 8

Post by pradkumar »

Hi Everyone,

I installed information server 8.0.1 on windows server 2003.But we have licence to only websphere datastage server and websphere quality stage.actually iam trying to check the connectivity from datastage to different databases. i successfully connected to db2udb on AIX by configuring the database wizard in db2. anyone could you help me to how to connect to db2 on mainframe . do i need to install db2 connect separately or whether db2 connect was installed along with the datastage version 8.0.1?

i would really appreciate for the help

Thanks

Sri
Pradeep Kumar
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

No, DB2 Connect client is not included as part of your DS/QS 8.0.1 installation. After you have intalled the DB2 Connect client and worked out all the security issues between the mainframe and the Windows server, your mainframe's DB2 can be accessed just like any other DBs.
pradkumar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by pradkumar »

Hi ,

so with out db2 connect can't i access mainframe db2 database?

is it mandatory to install db2 connect to extract data from source db2 mainframe?

can i extract mainframe db2 data through ODBC drivers?
Pradeep Kumar
WDWolf
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by WDWolf »

I believe you can get to db2 on mainframe, but you would need a full UDB instance somewhere and use classic federation, otherwise a client instance only needs db2 connect. (to use the db2 api's)

you can always use the odbc and the data direct drivers and config using wire protocol
William Wolf
Wolf Consulting
612-719-9066
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

If you can connect to db2 AIX, the basic db2-connect is into your world. ODBC allone is neither possible without it. What you should do or you should let do is to install the Mainframe connect into the catalogue of DB2 on your Server.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam