Handling different metadata in runtime for the same table in

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dilip.datastage
Participant

Handling different metadata in runtime for the same table in

Post by dilip.datastage »

Hi,
I have a situation to handle different metadata for the same target table in incremental load. How can i procced with. should i have to change manually for different load or there is any way to handle this automatically.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please explain how the structure of a table can change between runs. If it is changed manually (for example via ALTER TABLE statements) then there is no way to automatically synchronize your DataStage job. Recall that DataStage job designs are driven by the metadata - not vice versa.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dilip.datastage
Participant

Hi

From source i am geeting stream data. Data from source will come with different metadata. I have to handle it automatically by creating tables at run time.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Still doesn't really explain what you need to do or what exactly you mean by 'with different metadata'. Can you try again please? Perhaps with an example or three?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In particular, how do you learn the format of the source stream, from which you hope to be able to create the target table? And what database is this? There may be a bulk loader solution possible. At the same time that you create the table you create the bulk loader control file based on the same metadata. The question remains, however, where you obtain that metadata.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dilip.datastage
Participant

Hi,
From source itself i will be getting different metadata for each run. I have to handle this in ETL not in database tables. Is there any way to handle automatically different metadata in each run atomatically through ETL job.

i heard it is possible by using XML stage. Can you suggest me on this.

Regard's
Dilip
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

[sigh]

No-one can help until you stop repeating the little bit you've been repeating and explain in detail the problem you are facing. What exactly do you mean by 'different metadata'? Can you provide examples of these differences?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dilip.datastage
Participant

Hi,
Sorry for not giving clear picture of the problem.

I am using input as XML source file. Current run it has 4 columns :
ID, Name, Age, Address. I will process this .

In the next run i will get 5 columns(Metadata change) :
ID, Name, Age, Address1, Address2.

How can i handle this situation. Since i am getting files in XML can i handle it in ETL automatically. Can same job handle different metadata each time.
I heard this is possible in XML. Can my job read different metadata from XSD file and process the same.

Thanx in advance,
Dilip
dilip.datastage
Participant

Hi,
Sorry for not giving clear picture of the problem.

I am using input as XML source file. Current run it has 4 columns :
ID, Name, Age, Address. I will process this .

In the next run i will get 5 columns(Metadata change) :
ID, Name, Age, Address1, Address2.

How can i handle this situation. Since i am getting files in XML can i handle it in ETL automatically. Can same job handle different metadata each time.
I heard this is possible in XML. Can my job read different metadata from XSD file and process the same.

Thanx in advance,
Dilip