Hash file error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could always define it in the Administrator if you want it set for all jobs. Or set it to $ENV there and specifically override it in your single job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
maheshsada
Participant

Post by maheshsada »

I created a user defined parameter in the administratot and ran the job but the NLSPATH didnt appear in the director when it ran.

Hence i added parameter in the job and tried to run the job its prompting for the NLSpath.

How does the $ENV get its value, whether it needs to be defined in unix box. Since i tried "echo $ENV " in unix box it returned NULL.

regards
Magesh S
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Using $ENV in the Administrator sets it to the current value of the variable in 'the environment', which can include NULL if it is not currently set. Using it allows you to define it for DataStage without immediately changing the value in every existing job.

So, to not change the value anywhere but supply an 'override' value in specific jobs, do two things:

1) Define NLS_PATH in the Administrator with a value of $ENV.

2) Add it to your job and then change the default value there to whatever value it needs to be when the job runs. Meaning, the value from 'the environment where the job is running fine'.

Sure, it will 'prompt' for it but the proper value will already be there and can simply be defaulted.
-craig

maheshsada
Participant

Post by maheshsada »

I added the parameter NLS_PATH in administrator and set it to $ENV. When the job is ran, i checked the director for the parameter NLS_PATH in job log.
The variable was not coming in the job log - Environment variable settings

A sample of Environmental variable setting

Environment variable settings:
_=/usr/bin/nohup
APTUSEROSHWRAPPERS=/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/user_osh_wrappers
TMPDIR=/workspace
LANG=en_GB
LOGIN=dsadm

Magesh S
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ummm... Step 2? :?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The NLS map for hashed files should always be NONE.

Hashed files are "inside" DataStage - the requisite mappings have already be done in the "boundary" stages.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
maheshsada
Participant

Post by maheshsada »

Hi

We followed a workaround for the issue, we used convert function to change the occurence of the character with empty string. The hashfiles completed without any warning.
My doubt was when the same data was able to write to hash file in a different environment, it giving NLS warning in the current environment.

regards
Magesh S