Error Trapping with the OLE DB Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zbethem
Charter Member
Charter Member

Error Trapping with the OLE DB Stage

Post by zbethem »

I'm using the MS OLEDB stage to insert records into SQL Server. I'm finding it lacking in it's abilities to trap errors and reject rows properly. If an error occurs, I'd like for the row and error messages to be sent to a log file. Instead, I see warning messages in the job log and a false completion status of success. Anyone else out there had to deal with a similar issue?

To repeat the experiment:
1. define a column on SQLServer to NOT NULL
2. pass in a NULL value
- or -
1. define a unique constraint
2. try to insert the row

I realize that the examples are something that should be handled in the job itself, but these things can come up. And the failure of this stage to report them is scary :shock:

As an aside, the ODBC stage seems to handle the errors fine-n-dandy. But the direction we received a while back from Ascential was to use the OLEDB stage.

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you ask the Ascential person who advised using OLEDB how to trap errors using it? If so, what response did you get?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zbethem
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by zbethem »

Trying to do that as we speak.. I've "inherited" things from previous development phases. In the interest of time, I'm multi-tasking down both paths in the event that someone else has encountered a similar issue.

I'll let you know what Ascential (IBM) comes back with, if there is a solution using this stage.
RodBarnes
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RodBarnes »

Been a while since the last update. Wondered if you had gotten any further with this. I have the same issue. Been using OLEDB all along but now have an issue with trying to trap the errors instead of just having them sent into the log -- and those are not very descriptive.
zbethem wrote:Trying to do that as we speak.. I've "inherited" things from previous development phases. In the interest of time, I'm multi-tasking down both paths in the event that someone else has encountered a similar issue.

I'll let you know what Ascential (IBM) comes back with, if there is a solution using this stage.