Error in merging files at Sort stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sridhar Sivakoti
Participant

Error in merging files at Sort stage

Post by Sridhar Sivakoti »

Hi,

In one server job having Sequential File ->Sort -> Transformer -> Sequential File stages.

When I am running this job it is taking long time and it is showing in running status only(It's not completing) when I abort the job I am getting below error.

StgFactAftMgrTillCntdwnAS400_SSNMasking..srtPosPrtnrId: Error in merging files
At row 1, link "outsrtPosPrtnrId"
Call to output link returned numeric error code: 17

Please let me know what might be the reason.

Thanks in Advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Killing the SORT stage while it still had heap files on the scratch disk was probably the cause.

Try using sort as a Filter command in the Sequential File stage; the Sort stage is substantially slower than the UNIX sort command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How many records are you sorting? How long was 'long time'? The Server Sort stage is not meant for large volumes, leverage your O/S sort instead.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Nagaraj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nagaraj »

what if even there its is failing, with a segmentation fault error? ??? :idea: :idea: :idea:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please confirm that your environment, including version, is identical to that of the original poster. You are hijacking a thread in which the previous post is 30 months old!

Have you researched the possible causes of segmentation fault errors, either here or elsewhere?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.