problem with database connection

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wasimraja
Participant

problem with database connection

Post by wasimraja »

Hi,

I have a sequence of jobs which run daily starting from 8 PM till 1 AM.
My job is aborting daily at around 11 PM to 12 PM and it throws one of the following errors.

"ORA-03135: connection lost contact"
"ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE"

This happens after the job has started loading data and fails in the middle. This problem usually happens with jobs which have low rows/sec. (around 150 as my jobs have 5-6 references and 2-3 transformers) and it also happens with jobs which have 1000 rows/sec.

I have already raised a case with Oracle support on this. I need to know if there is some setting in datastage which may cause this problem or if I am doing something wrong.

The source, target and reference all are the same Oracle 10g database.
The dba also says that there are no timeout parameters set which means that a connection willnot timeout automatically. I also tried opening a connection to the database in the server through sqlplus and left it open. It didnt timeout for 5 days until I closed it myself.

Please let me know the resolution if anyone has faced this problem before.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Wasim

--If necessity is the mother of invention, then the need to simplify is the father of it.
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

How about any CPU quotas? Your 5 day session would not have tripped them.

Also post the entire error-stack captured in the DS log.
Ross Leishman
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Forget rows/sec!!! It's meaningless, and it's a "red herring" in the present context.

My guess is that there's a blip in your network causing these disconnections. Get your network administrator to investigate.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
wasimraja
Participant

Post by wasimraja »

Thanks everyone.

I searched help and all I could find was that it could be a problem with the network connection. But, I couldnt really confirm on that as the connection which I opened lasted for 5 days and didnt get disconnnected at all. Oracle have suggested some settings to be done to avoid this error. I will try implementing them and see if it resolves the problem. I have also raised a case with DS support just in case. Will let you guys know when I find a fix for this.
Cheers
Wasim

--If necessity is the mother of invention, then the need to simplify is the father of it.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

Does it fail on the same job everyday? Can you try to run the job after breaking it. You said you have 5-6 references. Can you break the job into two jobs with 3 references each?

I am assuming the oracle is forcing you out becuase of the queries you firing on it. (7 at a time). Its forcing you out because of temporary buffer space getting filled. Its my assumption. But i think breaking the job into two should help you.
wasimraja
Participant

Post by wasimraja »

It doesnot fail on the same job everyday. So, I cannot break the job into two as I dont know which job to break. Moreover, the job which failed runs fine immediately after a restart.
Cheers
Wasim