Exact diff btwn DS server and PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pagerakesh
Participant

Exact diff btwn DS server and PX

Post by pagerakesh »

Hi All,

I've been working in DS server for almost a year, and now want to learn DS PX. So i want to underatand how Server is Diffrent from PX.
So please tell me or if you have any document please send it.

Thanks in advance.
by
rake.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you have Server, then you also have the two Parallel Job Developer's Guides in pdf form on your PC. Start there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There exists a class, offered by DSXchange, called Server to Parallel Transition Lab - you can enrol on the instructor-led class or you can watch the video streamed from the Learning Center (once you have purchased your premium membership).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mcs@rajesh
Participant

hi

Post by mcs@rajesh »

Hi Rave,
well i don't have any document regarding this but i can suggest you some important differences, they are
1.Server Edition does'nt have Concept called Partition and collection
2.It executes the job which is present in the same server(machine).
3.It works fine with small volume of data.
4. In simple Server Edition is Code oriented sort of job where as Parallel edition is user friendly.
If wanna do further research on this you can very well check with the Parallel Job devloper's guide..
---->bye
mcs@rajesh
Participant

hi

Post by mcs@rajesh »

Hi Rake,
well i don't have any document regarding this but i can suggest you some important differences, they are
1.Server Edition does'nt have Concept called Partition and collection
2.It executes the job which is present in the same server(machine).
3.It works fine with small volume of data.
4. In simple Server Edition is Code oriented sort of job where as Parallel edition is user friendly.
If wanna do further research on this you can very well check with the Parallel Job devloper's guide..
---->bye
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: hi

Post by ray.wurlod »

mcs@rajesh wrote:1.Server Edition does'nt have Concept called Partition and collection
Yes it does, in the Link Partitioner and Link Collector stages. Done properly, multi-instance jobs can also be claimed to implement partition parallelism. And row buffering implements pipeline parallelism in server jobs.
mcs@rajesh wrote:2.It executes the job which is present in the same server(machine).
True. And, at least at startup, that's also true for parallel jobs. Parallel jobs can be configured (constrained?) to run on a single machine.
mcs@rajesh wrote:3.It works fine with small volume of data.
So can parallel jobs.
mcs@rajesh wrote:4. In simple Server Edition is Code oriented sort of job where as Parallel edition is user friendly.
That is complete tosh. Most good server jobs can be created without writing a single line of code. Expressions need to be built in both variants, so I must assume you're not referring to these. Similarly before/after subroutines can be used in both variants. And I have yet to find the competent server job developer who finds parallel jobs user-friendly - that's why there's a Server to Parallel Transition Lab offered. It came about because of all the server job developers who were struggling with the new concepts.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

mcs@rajesh wrote:4. In simple Server Edition is Code oriented sort of job where as Parallel edition is user friendly.
I'm sorry, but this one just made me laugh. As Ray notes, complete 'tosh'... something I needed to look up to get the full 'Chiefly British' nuance of. :wink:

This was exactly the kind of 'list' I was hoping to head off at the pass, as they are usually woefully incomplete or just plain wrong - just like this one. Ah, well. Seems like there are more and more people starting off with EE and PX, and all they know about Server is what their Gran-pappy told 'em. [sigh]
-craig

mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

chulett wrote:
I'm sorry, but this one just made me laugh. As Ray notes, complete 'to ...
Hi chulett I'am sorry, but can I know what made you to laugh so much if you tell us whole DSXchange can laugh.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Because it's just wrong. Hope Ray doesn't mind this...
ray.wurlod wrote:
That is complete tosh. Most good server jobs can be created without writing a single line of code. Expressions need to be built in both variants, so I must assume you're not referring to these. Similarly before/after subroutines can be used in both variants. And I have yet to find the competent server job developer who finds parallel jobs user-friendly - that's why there's a Server to Parallel Transition Lab offered. It came about because of all the server job developers who were struggling with the new concepts.
And I agreed.
-craig

mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

chulett wrote:Because it's just wrong. Hope Ray doesn't mind this...
ray.wurlod wrote:
And I agreed.
I hope that i have conveyed a wrong information and i feel sorry for that...
karry450
Participant

Post by karry450 »

Server jobs. These are available if you have installed DataStage Server. They run on the DataStage Server, connecting to other data sources as necessary.

Parallel jobs. These are only available if you have installed Enterprise Edition. These run on DataStage servers that are SMP, MPP, or cluster systems. They can also run on a separate z/OS (USS) machine if required.