DRSStage ORA-03113 or Transaction size out of bounds errors

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

news78
Participant

DRSStage ORA-03113 or Transaction size out of bounds errors

Post by news78 »

We are using DRSStage in a Server job. The DRS Stage connects to Oracle and inserts data into a table.
The volume of records to be inserted varies between 3-4 million rows.

Previously, we tried with ArraySize=1, TransactionSize=0, after some time the job aborts with error ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel. But all the rows get inserted into the table(which is wierd!). I tried searching for this error, but seems liek there is no fixed cause.

Q1. Is this error possible, if the db operation takes a long time?

Then we tried, with ArraySize=10000, TransactionSize=50000, this time, the job completed succefully. Also all rows got inserted into the table. But in the datastage job log I see the message:
Transaction size out of bounds, set to default of 0

Q2. Any idea what this message means? Where are the bounds set?

Thanks for your help!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: DRSStage ORA-03113 or Transaction size out of bounds err

Post by chulett »

Q1. Is this error possible, if the db operation takes a long time?

Yes, that could be one reason. Your DBA could supply more, I'd wager.

Not sure, but since it doesn't have an 'ORA' component, guessing it comes from the DRS stage. Are you using native OCI connectivity or ODBC to access Oracle with that stage? As to what it means, just what it says - your Transaction Size was too large (out of bounds) so it set it back to the default value of zero for you.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
news78
Participant

Re: DRSStage ORA-03113 or Transaction size out of bounds err

Post by news78 »

chulett wrote:Q1. Is this error possible, if the db operation takes a long time?

Yes, that could be one reason. Your DBA could supply more, I'd wager.

Not sure, but since it doesn't have an 'ORA' component, guessing it comes from the DRS stage. Are you using native OCI connectivity or ODBC to access Oracle with that stage? As to what it means, just what it says - your Transaction Size was too large (out of bounds) so it set it back to the default value of zero for you.
I set the DatabaseType to Oracle in the DRS Stage, so I assume its native OCI connectivity. So where are the bounds(max transaction size) set?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As I noted, not sure. Best to check with your official support provider on that and let us know what they say. Unless someone else knows for sure, of course - if so, feel free to jump on in!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

3113 is the dreaded Oracle error message... it means the oracle server process killed itself prematurely. Raise an incident log with Oracle, if you look in the alert.log of your database you may find some other clues.

3113 basically means the Oracle process ended in an abnormal way and usually requires you to install a patch. In most of the cases you're not the first one hitting the problem and oracle has a patch ready for you.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They were going to use 1313 as the error code, but that number had already been taken for The Munsters' address.
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.