How to move jobs from one project to another?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wbjk
Participant

How to move jobs from one project to another?

Post by wbjk »

For some reasons , I cannot find the old jobs. So I cannot import old jobs to another new project.

I make a new project . Then copy all the files of old project to new projects.

But I cannot find the old jobs in new project.

How to fix it??
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Did you 'copy all the files of old project to new projects' at the O/S level without using DataStage? That is *not* the way to do things if the answer is 'yes'. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
wbjk
Participant

Post by wbjk »

I try to used "Rebuild Repository indices" to fix it . But it doesn't works!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It should work fine in the 'old' project as long as no other connections exist to the project. If you are unsure, bounce DataStage first.
-craig

wbjk
Participant

Post by wbjk »

HELP! It is an emergency!

I should fix it today.

How to backup form one project to another project ???
wbjk
Participant

Post by wbjk »

chulett wrote:It should work fine in the 'old' project as long as no other connections exist to the project. If you are unsure, bounce DataStage first. ...
what does "no other connection mean" mean?
what dose "bounce" mean?

sorry , my engilish is not good enough to understand these professional words.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Bounce = stop and then restart. Down and back up... like a ball. :wink: No other connections = all alone. This is vital to ensure the reindex works.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As Craig notes, what you have attempted to do is inappropriate. The only safe ways to move objects from one project to another is export/import, Version Control or uvbackup/uvrestore.

You can probably repair the old project. It depends what went wrong, and why.

Copying files into a new project at the operating system level will never work, because there would be no entries in DataStage system tables to describe the locations of the new objects.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Etiquette Note
We don't do "urgent" here. If you need urgent support sign up with your support provider for premium service and learn the true cost of urgent. People who post here are all volunteers who post as and when they can.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
wbjk
Participant

Post by wbjk »

chulett wrote:Bounce = stop and then restart. Down and back up... like a ball. :wink: No other connections = all alone. This is vital to ensure the reindex works. ...
oh ,i c.

1. copy all files from one project(aa) in one machine(a) to anothere project(aa) in another machine(b)

2. make sure not any connection to "aa" project on machine "b"
3. use "DS.TOOLS" to rebulid index.

Does it works?

Is there any good method to "export and import" from one project to another?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

Restart DataStage on first machine.
Perform DS.REINDEX ALL in the first project.
Do not copy anything except so as to have a backup from which you can restore.
If reindexing fails involve your support provider.
wbjk
Participant

Post by wbjk »

ray.wurlod wrote:No.

Restart DataStage on first machine.
Perform DS.REINDEX ALL in the first project.
Do not copy anything except so as to have a backup from which you can restore.
If reindexing fails involve yo ...
For what reasons do you advised me to restart the first machine and perform DS.REINDEX ALL in the first project?
I think the first project is running ok.
All the steps you advised me to do on first machine is to make sure the first project is correct?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Delete new project.
Create new project (empty).
Export old project using Export > DataStage Components in Manager.
Import into new project.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: How to move jobs from one project to another?

Post by chulett »

wbjk wrote:For what reasons do you advised me to restart the first machine and perform DS.REINDEX ALL in the first project?
Because of this statement, I assume:
wbjk wrote:For some reasons , I cannot find the old jobs. So I cannot import old jobs to another new project.
I took that to mean something was wrong with your old/first project, so you tried to 'fix' it by copying all the files to a new project. Seems like Ray took it that way as well. If that's not needed, let us know.

Is there anything wrong with the old project? If not, what are you trying to accomplish with this 'new' project?
-craig

flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

experience with Unix level project copies

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

I was always curious whether a Unix level backup/restore of a project would work. Ascential and Peoplesoft don't necessarily recommend unix level backups and restores of projects. I will share what happened to me when I was forced to do a Unix level backup and restore. This was on 7.5.x Datastage and 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW Solaris. I restored the project at the unix level. Initially everything looked very good when I signed in with Developer and Manager. All the jobs were visible and they would open and the stages would open. I did something smart and Datastage Manager backed the project up and that worked. Then I tried to compile jobs and got all kinds of wierd error messages. I am not a bit noodler so I restored the empty version of the project and then used Datastage Manager to restore the Project. This worked well. We lost our project hash tables but saved all our jobs. The fact that Unix level backups and restores don't work means to me that information about the Project must be stored in the Universe/DSEngine locations and this has to be in sync with what's in the Project directory. I agree with the guru's of this site that Datastage Manager is the way to backup and restore Datastage projects.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution