can you delegate dsadm "add project" to another id

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

can you delegate dsadm "add project" to another id

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

We work in a large organization that wants to lock (only allow su, can't use administrator gui) the dsadm id. Peoplesoft support told me you could delegate dsadm to another id but as far as I can see you can't delegate the "add project" priveledge of dsadm to another id. You can delegate project management to particular other id's but not some of the high level functions of dsadm. This is a large Unix installation on the server.

... Tom
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... what exact version number of DataStage? I believe that this 'delegation' can only happen during the installation of the server itself, but not positive.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Craig,

This is the release:
/xxx/psoftts8/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine: more .dsrel

I am not talking about having a different id than dsadm be the dsadm id. I want dsadm and "fred" id to have the same priveledges in the Administrator gui.

The "Permissions" tab is only AFTER you've opened the individual project. That's why I think you can't delegate "add project".

If I delegate permission to a group in the "Permissions" tab, would I have to restart datastage to make it effective.

I filed the safari post to the "site" forum

Flash
Flash Gordon
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Add project is only available to the designated DataStage administrator ID. If you have designated dsadm that's the end of the story: there is no scope to add a second DataStage administrator (until you get to version 8.0). Of course, root can still do anything.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Ray/Craig,

Thanks. Sometimes the hardest thing to say is "no it can't be done." That's what I was looking for here. Once the security group unlocked the id and I got in as administrator it became obvious to me you can't delegate Administrator in 7.5.x. The gui is very simple. It was obvious to me that "Add Project" was only lit when administrator was on. Peoplesoft support told me you could delegate, but they just meant that "Permissions" tab inside the project. Thanks.

... Tom
Flash Gordon