Sequencer was entered, but never exited

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

eldonp
Participant

Sequencer was entered, but never exited

Post by eldonp »

I have a sequencer that I would like to have loop. Heres the design:

Code: Select all

user variables - -> sequencer (any) - -> job1 (writes 1 record to a file) - - > Errors
                        ↑                             |
                        |                             ↓
                        |                       Command (head to read file)
                        |                             |
                        |                             ↓
                      Command (sleep 5) < - - Condition (sleep/continue) - - > job2
I expect that when the sleep condition is satisfied that the sleep command will run, then the sequencer will run the job1 again - in otherwords loop continuosly until the continue condition is satisfied.

At runtime is that the sequencer does not start the job1 job. Instead, there is an Info event written to the Director log:
DEP_OLCM_BATCH_SEQ..JobControl (@Coordinator): Note: Sequencer 'Seq1' was entered, but never exited
Job1 uses a user variable that is generated when the job starts.

What causes this to occur?
bkumar103
Participant

Post by bkumar103 »

The loop will not work in this way.
If it is required to have in the ETL job, then the start loop and end loop activity can be used.
bkumar103
Participant

Post by bkumar103 »

The loop will not work in this way.
If it is required to have in the ETL job, then the start loop and end loop activity can be used.
eldonp
Participant

Post by eldonp »

Resolved by implementing loop stages - but this required duplicating logic.

I needed to obtain a value from the job before using this in the start loop stage. The the initial logic is duplicated between the loop stages.

Any constructive comments stilll ... around the duplication especially?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

StartLoop does not have to be the first activity in a job sequence - there could be any kind of upstream activity (User Variables, Routine, Execute Command) for fetching this value before the loop gets under way.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.