Where can I enable the NLS setting???

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ICE
Participant

Where can I enable the NLS setting???

Post by ICE »

Dear All,

May I know where can I enable the NLS setting so that I can use NVarchar data type???

Thanks,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look in the uvconfig file for a tunable called NLSMODE. If it is there, set it to 1 and restart DataStage. If it is not there you will need to re-install the DataStage server, this time with NLS enabled.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vanathy
Participant

Post by vanathy »

After National Language Support has been installed, to enable NLS set the NLSMODE uvconfig parameter to 1 and Please run uvregen and DBsetup to pick up uvconfig changes.
Enter NLS database administration via the menu NLS.ADMIN.
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear Ray,

This is the production live server:(
Do I need to uninstall in order to reinstall the server???
I am afraid to do that so.

Thanks,

ray.wurlod wrote:Look in the uvconfig file for a tunable called NLSMODE. If it is there, set it to 1 and restart DataStage. If it is not there you will need to re-install the DataStage server, this time with NLS ena ...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, you do not need to un-install in order to re-install DataStage. I would recommend trying this first on your development server, including taking backups and making sure that they are successful.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will need to reinstall the production server if NLS is not installed and you want to use NLS. You would do well to read the DataStage NLS manual first since you appear to be unacquainted with it. As Arnd points out, you do not need to uninstall to re-install DataStage server at the same version.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear Armdw,

So, do you mean I just need to rerun the installer?

Thnaks,

ArndW wrote:No, you do not need to un-install in order to re-install DataStage. I would recommend trying this first on your development server, including taking backups and making sure that they are successful.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

re-running the installer and specifying NLS will do what you requested, but you really should follow what Ray just suggested and go through the documentation. Once you have NLS you cannot go back.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you absolutely certain you need to do this? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

And wasn't NLS only included as of 6.x ... I don't recall 4.0 (as in the OP) having NLS at all.

Also having NLS won't solve all of your data problems. Since for a lot of databases you can only include one "home instance" like DB2 e.g. if you have to write to databases using different encodings you will still have a problem if the encoding is determine by the database client.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ICE - Is this in response to your other thread?

viewtopic.php?t=113918
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ogmios wrote:And wasn't NLS only included as of 6.x ... I don't recall 4.0 (as in the OP) having NLS at all.
The first version of DataStage to have NLS was 2.5, the next was 3.6, then every version after that (except x.0 versions) has had NLS capability.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ogmios wrote:And wasn't NLS only included as of 6.x ... I don't recall 4.0 (as in the OP) having NLS at all.
The first version of DataStage to have NLS was 2.5, the next was 3.6, then every version after that (except x.0 versions) has had NLS capability.
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear Chultt,

Yes. I would like to find out the problem whether my problem is because of NVarchar data type.
But now I realized that this is not the problem actually.
Yesterday I asked the SQL server team to change their data type to Varchar and tried to run my job but the problem is still there.
I can update only one row at a time. If there is 6 rows, the job updated for only one row and the other 5 rows were rejected with fractional truncation warning msg.
But if I select only one specific row from those 6 rows and tried to update, the job can update to the database.
Still I don't find the problem. I already check all the data type and length and used the same data type and length. But the problem is still here.
Do you think it is the SQL server problem?
I already have the update job with DB2 and I never see this problem before.

Is there anybody have any idea please??? :cry:

Thanks in advance,
ICE

chulett wrote:ICE - Is this in response to your other thread?

viewtopic.php?t=113918
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Pretty much what I thought, this wasn't going to solve your problem just create oodles of new ones. Please mark this thread as Resolved and add your latest explanation / questions to the original thread so we can continue the conversation over there, not here.
-craig